Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother just bought a Dell XPS M1210 (Windows XP Media). First thing he did was format the hard drive and re-install windows to clear off all the pre-installed junk. Everything went okay, until it came time to install the wireless adapter. The driver on the CD wouldn't even install, I had to download a newer one off of the Dell website. Once installed though I get my excellent signal strength but "limited or no connectivity." My listed "Network Adapters" in device manager are: "Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection" for wireless, "Broadcom 440x 10/100 Intergrated Controller" for wired, and "1394 Net Adapter." The router I'm trying to connect the laptop to is a Linksys WRT54GS.

Now, wired with the Broadcom adapter all is well, I connect perfect. The Intel Wireless Adapter though keeps saying I have limited connectivity. Says the problem occured because the network did not assign a network address to the computer. Can anyone help here? I'm a network idiot for the most part...thanks.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think that's it, I have a Toshiba laptop that connects to the internet fine. Here's ipconfig /all output below. 2 is the working wired, 6 is the not working wireless:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\deodorant>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : deodorantstick
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : hr.cox.net

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : hr.cox.net
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Cont
roller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-15-C5-58-59-16
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.118
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.10.16.30
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, December 27, 2006 11:40:0
5 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, December 28, 2006 11:40:05
AM

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 6:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Networ
k Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-18-DE-8D-E3-4A
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.128.168
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

C:\Documents and Settings\deodorant>

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
You might look at Bob's post again. If the wired connection connects, and the wireless one is the issue, it appears to be a wireless configuration issue. The most common problem with wireless connections is mis-configured encryption settings.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MAC address filtering is not enbaled. I'd just hate to take down the encryption, there are a lot of computers and Tivo's on the network, guess I will though, see if I can get it working.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
You can restore the encryption with the same key and the other computers should work again, this is just for a test.

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
If you still can't connect after disabling the encryption, make sure you are using the latest Intel utility (that you probably got at the same time as the driver) and that Windows XP's WZC is not running. (Because sometimes Intel wireless adapters don't seem to play nice with WZC.)

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Turned off WZC, got rid of the encryption, didn't help. So last night I figured screw it, one more uninstall/reinstall try couldn't hurt. So, I uninstalled the adapter again, then I noticed some Dell wlan thing on the add/remove list. That's wireless network related so I clicked to uninstall that...and it wouldn't. It kept giving me errors. I ended up having to manually delete it all and then do re-installs again, works fine now. So, although the adapter installed okay and was configured correctly the first time, apparently something labeled Dell wlan was corrupted and screwing with it if I understand this right. Who knows, it works now, I'm happy. Thanks for all the help guys, this can be closed.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the upper right of the screen.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.