Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vista Home - not able to turn off Network Discovery and File sharing button.
I am a single stand alone on a broadband account. HP told me to do a total restore. My AVG firewall says I have not allowed sharing. But I would like to control my own options.
Please let me know what to do?
TIA

·
Registered
7,889 Posts
Go into windows services and disable "Computer Browser" "Server" and "Workstation"

Restart the PC.

You will have Internet connectivity and no problems, but nobody will be able to see you on any Local Network. This disables any filesharing also.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Go into windows services and disable "Computer Browser" "Server" and "Workstation"

Restart the PC.

You will have Internet connectivity and no problems, but nobody will be able to see you on any Local Network. This disables any filesharing also.
Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge. I have followed you instructions!!
THX

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have Vista Home Prem I thought. New HP computer.
Ran Lavalys and found report of Computer name, Generator (user) and Op Sys being stated as Win Vista Beta 6.06000. Why name is showing and owner and why Vista Beta installed.?

I had previously tried to remove this info. I wanted to change Vista Network to Public and could not under Network Discovery. HP said I had to reinstall the operating system to do so.

TSG answered one of my previous fixes for hiding my computer on the Internet and making safe as a stand alone home unit with no networking or file sharing. (I made 3 services as disabled, per your instructions. Cannot find your past post).
TIA
Avie
:D

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have Vista Home Prem I thought. New HP computer.
Ran Lavalys and found report of Computer name, Generator (user) and Op Sys being stated as Win Vista Beta 6.06000. Why name is showing and owner and why Vista Beta installed.?

I had previously tried to remove this info. I wanted to change Vista Network to Public and could not under Network Discovery. HP said I had to reinstall the operating system to do so.

TSG answered one of my previous fixes for hiding my computer on the Internet and making safe as a stand alone home unit with no networking or file sharing. (I made 3 services as disabled, per your instructions. Cannot find your past post).
TIA
Avie
:D
You all are wonderful to merge massage for me to find again. !!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.