Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two comps hooked into one monitor, problem is, i only have one internet cable, is there a way i can hook another one up between the two and connect internet from the one tha has it to the one that doesn't?

I'll take pictures soon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you didn't read what i said

that had no relevence to this topic,

now, is there some sort of cable that i can connect to one internet cable, then plug another one into it and plug it into my PC so it shares the connection via 2 cables?

must i seriously illustrate it for you?

·
Registered
419 Posts
what kind of internet you have? DSL, cable, ... ?

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Annexxion having a bad day?

I did read what you wrote. Apparently you didn't read what I wrote.

You can not "split" your internet connection as your example unless you are getting two ips from your ISP. You wouldn't be asking the question you are if you knew the answer to that.

ICS is how you use one pc to get another pc on the internet if you don't want to purchase a router.

Arrogance and ignorance make a deadly combination.

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
The only thing wrong with Wanderer2's first post is that you would not need a wireless router. Usually you can find one for less money than a wired only router, but didn't want you to get too upset. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Anexxion the usb link talked about a propriety program to link two pcs via a usb network. You read that then asked if you could solder usb cables together. The wasn't the point of the link.

You appear focused on the physical. You don't solder cables.. ever. If you want two usbs you put in a usb hub between the modem and the two pcs. At about $10 that sure beats destroying three cables in trying to solder them together.

Of course that doesn't get you a ip address for each pc so whatever one gets on first will be the only one on. Your attempt to get another ip address will result in your ISP enforcing their policies which may include termination of your account or additional charges levied against you.

Have fun!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
lol sorry, i dont want two different ISP's, i have two pc's upstairs, only one internet cable, then i have one PC on the middle floor, connected to inet.

then my final PC downstairs were the router etc is, i wanted to know if i can connect the internet to both comps upstairs simultaneously with a connecter or splitter or something

·
Registered
419 Posts
splitter basicall will be the hub. since you already have router, conn. the hub to the router, then 2 pcs will be conn. to hub.
;)

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
I bet I'm not the only one who missed any mention of you having a router before post #11. :( An ethernet hub or switch (better) should do the job nicely. And I'm sure that Wanderer2 would have posted the same info about 23 hours ago if you had mentioned your router.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.