Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted in here awhile back about my onboard network adapter being unplugged. I can't disable it because my ISP (walmart connect) keeps trying to detect it. I want to update the driver but I am not sure what driver I need to install from the following page:

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloads1-3.aspx?series=16&Software=True

my network adapter is a Realtek RTL8139/810X PCI Family Fast Ethernet NIC

I am running windows xp home sp2

·
Super Moderator
43,962 Posts
I believe that Realtek ones are onboard. Your best bet is to go to the manufacturer of your motherboard and get the drivers.

As for the walmart thing, you can disable it by going to Tools > Internet Options. Under the connections tab, make sure that the walmart connection is highlighted and that you have it set to Never Dial A Connection.

Which reminds me, walmart is Dial Up only, so it shouldn't affect your network card.

·
Premium Member
52,926 Posts
Since you have Windows XP you want the driver thats for Windows XP.

That happens to be the very first driver listed: Auto installation program(support WinXP 64/Win98SE/WinME/Win2K/WinXP ,ver 621)

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tidus4Yuna said:
I believe that Realtek ones are onboard. Your best bet is to go to the manufacturer of your motherboard and get the drivers.

As for the walmart thing, you can disable it by going to Tools > Internet Options. Under the connections tab, make sure that the walmart connection is highlighted and that you have it set to Never Dial A Connection.

Which reminds me, walmart is Dial Up only, so it shouldn't affect your network card.
Thanks for your help but I believe I did post the link to the manufacturer website, I also said it was onboard and I also said that I "disabled" it, meaning obviously I knew how to do that. I disabled it from the onboard and it did stop detecting it finally. I would like to have it updated anyways so that it doesn't keep saying that it is unplugged. If the network card has nothing to do with walmart, then my question is why is it trying to detect it when it's not disabled from the board?

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Triple6 said:
Since you have Windows XP you want the driver thats for Windows XP.

That happens to be the very first driver listed: Auto installation program(support WinXP 64/Win98SE/WinME/Win2K/WinXP ,ver 621)
I tried that one orginally and I got this error:

'C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\{94fB906A-CF42-4128-A509-D35026A607E}\VALUE.SHL' could not be installed.

I'm not sure what's wrong :( Do I need to update my windows installer from windows update? I just installed sp2 and I haven't gotten to the other updates yet and I saw something about a 3.1 windows installer.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
go to your device manager and uninstall the device completely. reboot and let windows redetect it. when it does, point the installer to the updated drivers and see if they load successfully.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Triple6 said:
Ok, lets take a step back. Why are you even trying to update the ethernet card driver if you don't seem to be using it?
like I said my ISP keeps trying to configure it, even when I am not using it. When I load up, a box comes up that says "configuering network adapter". I am also receiving alot of a blue screens while online and since it says it is unplugged I figured I'd take a stab at guessing the network adapter is the problem. I admit to not knowing anything about networking.

·
Premium Member
52,926 Posts
OK, but the Ethernet has no link to dial-up internet. You must have the connection software installed incorrectly or something. Or they are calling something else, part of their connection, a network adaptor. Do they have support you can contact?

Also, spyware and viruses are a huge problem and many packages sold or distributed to protect against some of these threats aren't up to par to anymore. Try doing an online scan at one of the many sites. Housecall.trendmicro.com has a new scan that looks for viruses and spyware threats; its not the best or the most complete but its works decently well and if it finds anything otheer then cookies then that may be part of the problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.