Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I'm fairly knowledgeable about what I'm trying to accomplish, but don't know enough to correct my problem. If you try to help me, assume I know nothing. Walk me through it.

I'm trying to get my friend to be able to play online games against me, namely Warcraft 3 and MOHAA. He is sharing his ISP access with another PC in his house. They have a Netgear WGR614v2 router, each connected to it with a Cat6 cable. I know how to set it up to open ports, I just don't know which ports to forward or what the actual IP address of his machine is.

His internet connection is fine, tested with good speed. (Comcast Cable, 3.3 d/l, 256 u/l). Since he is behind the router firewall, I assume I need to forward ports. He can join my game in WC3, but cannot start his own game due to the fact that I can't "see" his game on the server. MOHAA uses a direct connection using an IP address. Neither of us can start a game and have the other "see" the game.

1) What's the best way to determine my/his IP address?

2) Do the two machines on his router each have their own IP address? Does opening up ports on the router open them up for both PC's? ( only one wants to play online games ).

I can provide a bunch more info and answer questions on what I've tried if anyone is interested. I'm sure it's the router/firewall that is preventing us from playing, but can't figure out how to correct it.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Q1: If you use the site http://www.myip.com/ from a PC it will tell you the external (public) IP address.

If you use the command ipconfig/all on a PC it will tell you the privte IP address of the PC (because your are behind a NAT router all the PCs on the LAN will have this private IP address).

Q2: Yes the two machines will each have an IP address issued by the router. Determine as above.
I expect that the WGR614v2 is basically the same as my WGR614v1. In which case a specific port can only be forwarded to a single (private) IP address e.g. you could forward port 1000 to IP address 192.168.0.10. So opening up the ports on the router will only open/forward a particular port to one of the machines.

Your Warcraft 3 and MOHAA stuff should tell what ports are used. You might find http://www.netgear-support.com/ts/doc/port_applications.htm useful.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.