Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

Netgear or Linksys

• Netgear

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Linksys

Votes: 1 50.0%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, Which is the best router Netgear RP614 or Linksys BEFSR41? I would say Linksys since their Cisco owned but people say they had problems hosting games. The Netgear router people say that to do advanced configurations you need to telnet into it but the Linksys its all web based.

thankyou

djrock

·
Registered
1 Posts
djrock said:
Hello, Which is the best router Netgear RP614 or Linksys BEFSR41? I would say Linksys since their Cisco owned but people say they had problems hosting games. The Netgear router people say that to do advanced configurations you need to telnet into it but the Linksys its all web based.

thankyou

djrock
linksys is better and they got great technical support group

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello, Whats there warranty like? Netgear is 3 yrs i can't find what linksys is?

thankyou

djrock

·
Registered
191 Posts
djrock said:

thankyou

djrock
Dj, I've got a linksys, I have no problems with hosting games, all I had to do was forward some ports required by the game. If you want more detailed instructions you can IM me at Tomtheman70 on AIM.

Linksys is much better than netgear in my opinion.

EDIT: Warrenty info http://www.linksys.com/rma/

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok thankyou Tomtheman70 i will im you if i do need further detailed instructions tomorrow. I see theres a BEFSX41 which costs £43.90 compaired to the BEFSR41 which only costs £24.94. The BEFSX41 does a bit more like it has a firewall and in its features it say it can do

Protects PCs from Ping of Death, SYN Flood, Land Attacks, IP Spoofing, and Other DoS (Denial of Service) Attacks
Supports Up to Two IPSec Virtual Private Network (VPN)Tunnels
Supports URL Filtering and Time Filtering
Blocks Java, ActiveX, and Cookies

when the other can do

Share your high-speed cable or DSL Internet connection with multiple computers
Built-in switch connects four local PCs directly, or daisy-chain out to more hubs and switches as your network grows
Supports DHCP, Universal Plug-and-Play (UPnP), and includes a user-friendly Setup Wizard for easy configuration
Included Setup Wizard takes you through configuring your network, step by step

I take it there roughly the same expect the BEFSX41 has a firewall and does vpn?

I take both support if you want a dmz.

Which one is better?

thankyou

djrock

·
Registered
191 Posts
DJ, well it depends on what you're really looking for. Are you looking for something that you're going to leave your computers running on 24/7 or something that you'll just turn on for a couple hours at a time.

If it is the first then go for the BEFSX41 because it has protection from Ddos , ping of death, and land attacks. Those are quite common over here in the USA. So if you're going to have it on all the time people are probably going to try and be hacking it all the time.

Now, go for the BEFSR41 if you're going to be gaming (What kinds of games?) this probably doesn't offer much protection, but then again you're not going to have your computer on all the time.

Its really whether you want to spend an extra 20 pounds on something that you won't use or want to go with something cheaper and not get much protection.

email - [email protected]

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Tomtheman70, I will probably not leave the router on 24/7 I will have to see if the dc is ok (if it get really hot) but it will probably be on for about well in my logs the longest I have been connected with 56k is 16 hours and there’s quite alot of 10 hours. For the gaming side well I don't know I would like to be able to play online games if I wanted to. I would also like the option to host a web server.

£43.90 is quite a bit of money but if it's going to protect the network right compared to the £24.94 one. I would rather get one thats gives more of a fight than just caves in.

Thankyou

djrock

·
Registered
677 Posts
Linksys definitely has better technical support. Both are web based in the setup; I seemed to have more difficulty with netgear than linksys, which was pretty straigt forward. I still haven't figured out how to get WEP set up on my netgear at home, but it's not really that important there.

·
Registered
323 Posts
lol seems im opposite then everyone else here but i like the netgears over linksys. i do not abuse my computer equipment, but i have had thing phyiscally go wrong with linkys devices, (antenna falling off a PCI adapter, power connection on a switch become touchy) maybe just by luck....

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi, Its starting to appear linksys make a good router. two1361 it does not sound good antenna falling off pci card especially when they cost quite a bit.

djrock

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
I also prefer Netgear. Had lots of failures with the linksys (blown ports ect)
No problemo with the Netgear. Plus Netgear is cheaper. And the way the standards keep changin who wants a expensive outdated router ;)

Got my Netgear Wireless Router and Notebook Card for FREE after rebate :up:

Just hooked it up and WaLa .. works great

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello, Who keeps there routers most up to date? Now i can't make my mind up. I will have a look what netgear offers.

thankyou

djrock

·
Registered
8,812 Posts
I prefer the linksys. Mainly because it's linux based and theres Sveasoft firmware (beta) available for it to allow more control over power output and routing tables.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I should be more fair in my post about Netgear. We got off on the wrong foot because I initially was trying to make the wireless router work with a dialup internet connection; it took FOREVER and many emails and frustration for them to finally get to the fact that it will not work with dialup. By then I could no longer return it.

Funny thing was that when i was setting it up after I got dsl, I saw in the options it asking me if I had a dialup connection. I almost said bad words....

·
Registered
191 Posts
djrock said:
Hi Tomtheman70, I will probably not leave the router on 24/7 I will have to see if the dc is ok (if it get really hot) but it will probably be on for about well in my logs the longest I have been connected with 56k is 16 hours and there’s quite alot of 10 hours. For the gaming side well I don't know I would like to be able to play online games if I wanted to. I would also like the option to host a web server.

£43.90 is quite a bit of money but if it's going to protect the network right compared to the £24.94 one. I would rather get one thats gives more of a fight than just caves in.

Thankyou

djrock
DJ,
I know that 43 pounds is quite a bit of money, I've had quite a few trips to england and general Europe. Technology is VERY expensive over there. You might want to try to import one, you might get a better price ;)
Anyways, if you have a 56k connection why are you getting a router? 56k is slow enough, splitting the connection between different computers is going to be killer on your machines and they'll run very slow.

Hosting a web server would probably be a bad idea on a 56k, you're not going to get that good of load times from people viewing the site.

If I had the money I'd go for the router that costs 43 pounds.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hello, I will be upgrading to 512 or 1mb bb in a few weeks time. Yes i could import a router but i want to be on the safe side if something goes wrong.

Yes over hear in rip off Britain technology is very expensive which is bad.

If a 40 pound router gives more protection than a cheaper one then the 40 pound it is.

thankyou

djrock

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
bump

·
Registered
191 Posts
djrock said:
Hello, I will be upgrading to 512 or 1mb bb in a few weeks time. Yes i could import a router but i want to be on the safe side if something goes wrong.

Yes over hear in rip off Britain technology is very expensive which is bad.

If a 40 pound router gives more protection than a cheaper one then the 40 pound it is.

thankyou

djrock
Tom agrees that you should get the more expensive one. (Try finding a better price though)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.