Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided to get rid of my Symantec Antivirus corperate edition(which I think is Norton) but not sure which company to go for.
I need an effective and preferrably with low resource demand antivirus software but there are too many choices and I don't mind paying for the full version if its better than the free one. (i.e lots of people say Avast is good, but is its paid version better than the free one? Is there a real difference?)
Also, in the past I've not paid attention to things like ad-ware and spyware removers, any suggestions as to the best free/paid softwares?
One last question, are things like registry fixes/scanners neccessary?

·
Registered
15,482 Posts
For spyware, I use Webroot Spysweeper. It was PC Magazine's editor choice in 2007. It is not free but reasonably cheap at $29.95.
I also use Mcafee's Site Advisor. It is not an anti-spyware per se, but it put a safety rating besides Google's search results; telling you which site installs malware and which you shouldn't go to. So this prevents installation of malware which is better than trying to figure out how to remove them after an infection. There is a pay version, but I'm using the free version.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
Go to the third sticky in this Forum. There are a lot of programs mentioned there and some are free.
Norton came free with my ISP but I don't use it because it is so resource demanding.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.