Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright at the moment I can't even play the simplest games without the CPU jumping to 100% and some uber lag. Heres the system:
New stuff:
MoBo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813138036
CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103733
GPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814143049
PSU: 400w
RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820144049
Old stuff from a Compaq:
CD/DVD Drive
Case
IDE 80gb 7200rpm HDD
Wireless Adapter: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833127130

This happens everytime I log onto City of Heroes, it'll play good for 2 seconds, then it'll lag and freek out on me. This even happens when I try to play "Freetar Hero" ><

I had to put the heatsink on the CPU on twice (i'm using the one that came with it) because i though that the outlet on the far side of the motherboard. Could this be a problem with the Thermal Paste that's now messed up from flipping it around?

Also either I got a bad stick of ram. Even though it says 800mhz it says that the max bandwidth is 400mhz ><. I still have enough time to RMA should I do this and spend a couple more bucks on a better brand? Because the 400mhz/5CAS isn't very good...

Also this is not really related...but sometimes the internet will cut out at random times (i've had to install it 7 times) and say that it can't connect to any of the networks, and it won't repair itself. If I restart it will work fine, so i just restart and deal with it ><. Any suggestions about this?

Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Did you do a complete reinstall of the Operating system? Have you installed all the necessary drivers for that motherboard/graphics card and wireless adapter?

Scorp.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I've installed everything correctly. I even got the latest drivers from Nvidia for the graphics card and I've tried both drivers that are on the support page for my wireless adapter...

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Hmm...none of those links work, they've been truncated...page does not exist. Instead of posting the full link like that, try doing it like this...

Type something like 'Wireless card HERE'......then highlight the word HERE, then click the little 'world with a link under it' icon and paste the address in there. Then it will make a hyper-link out of the word HERE.

Scorp.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
None of the links work!

I had to put the heatsink on the CPU on twice (i'm using the one that came with it) because i though that the outlet on the far side of the motherboard. Could this be a problem with the Thermal Paste that's now messed up from flipping it around?
Not sure what you are saying here, pls be more specific. I understand you have removed the heatsink from the cpu and put it back, long as its pretty much a brand new cpu and heatsink you should be okay with the thermal past issue. if its old then you must replace it.

Also either I got a bad stick of ram. Even though it says 800mhz it says that the max bandwidth is 400mhz ><. I still have enough time to RMA should I do this and spend a couple more bucks on a better brand? Because the 400mhz/5CAS isn't very good...
Where is it telling you this? do you understand multiplier and all that? example: DDR400 (PC3200) in the bios shows 200Mhz but it has a multiplier of 2 that brings it up to 400Mhz.
I think you probably have the right ram just not understanding how things work possibly.

Also this is not really related...but sometimes the Internet will cut out at random times (i've had to install it 7 times) and say that it can't connect to any of the networks, and it won't repair itself. If I restart it will work fine, so i just restart and deal with it ><. Any suggestions about this?
Sounds like you have an issue there, could be a bunch of things, corrupt OS, Spyware, Virus , Your ISP, Driver Router issue I could keep going on and on.

Lets get the links working so we can see what you have.
Lets be exact in detail what the issues are.
list the manufacture of the power supply
Then we can be more helpful on helping you resolve this for you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
schusterjo said:
Not sure what you are saying here, pls be more specific. I understand you have removed the heatsink from the cpu and put it back, long as its pretty much a brand new cpu and heatsink you should be okay with the thermal past issue. if its old then you must replace it.
That thats exactly what I had to do to the heatsink. And it was right out of the box when I did it, so i guess it's ok?

schusterjo said:
Where is it telling you this? do you understand multiplier and all that? example: DDR400 (PC3200) in the bios shows 200Mhz but it has a multiplier of 2 that brings it up to 400Mhz.
I think you probably have the right ram just not understanding how things work possibly.
I wasn't looking at my ram in the bios, I was looking at it on CPU-Z. On the last computer I had it showed up at it's full speed on it...

schusterjo said:
Sounds like you have an issue there, could be a bunch of things, corrupt OS, Spyware, Virus , Your ISP, Driver Router issue I could keep going on and on.
I guess this might be a corrupt OS...is there a way of testing my XP disk to see if it's alright? I do have a weird thing when I boot up though. It has two XP Home choices, only one of them works so i just ignore them. I could repair or totally reload Windows if that could fix it.

schusterjo said:
Lets get the links working so we can see what you have.
Lets be exact in detail what the issues are.
list the manufacture of the power supply
Then we can be more helpful on helping you resolve this for you.
[/QUOTE]

Sorry it's right before school and I don't have enough time, but I had the links working on a different forum page. I just copy and pasted what I wrote onto this one, I think thats why the links don't work.

http://www.computerforum.com/70825-need-some-help.html

And the PSU is this

*edit: i didn't do quotes right ><

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Nar57981 said:
I guess this might be a corrupt OS...is there a way of testing my XP disk to see if it's alright? I do have a weird thing when I boot up though. It has two XP Home choices, only one of them works so i just ignore them. I could repair or totally reload Windows if that could fix it.
Hmmmmmmm...I wonder.....

Did you format the HD when you did a reinstall? It seems like you have 2 installations, and I'm wondering if something is messing up with it. How many partitions do you have, and what is on them (roughly...like games, data etc)?

Scorp

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When I went to do my new OS, I deleted the old partitions and used all the space for a single partition. (74.5 gb, NTFS)

When I got the computer booted up I used the MoBo disk to load all that stuff, then I went and loaded stuff off a flash card that I had. It has the newest Nvidia drivers, firefox 9, D-link drivers, City of Heroes, Wii video 9, PSP video 9, Winamp, a folder with about 200 songs, Open Office, Steam, Counter-Strike, Trillion, Limewire, 3D-Mark 2003, and Freetar Hero
Only one partition.
I have an Ubuntu Linux Live CD that has the partitioning tool on it, should I use something like this to see/fix a partitioning problem?

Ty for the reply!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Again not sure what partition problem you are having? You said
"I deleted the old partitions and used all the space for a single partition. (74.5 gb, NTFS)"
Then you reloaded everything. So whats wrong now? what is it doing?

·
Registered
243 Posts
From what I understand from what you are saying for the CPU heat sink is that you put it on one way and the wire for the fan didn't reach so you took off the heat sink and put it back on the other way so the wire would reach, BUT you didn't put new thermal paste down?

If that is the case there could be bad contact for the heat sink letting you run windows, but when you do anything CPU intensive (play any game) it gets too hot.

download "speed fan" just google it and you should find it. install that and that will tell you the CPU, HD, and some other case temps. I think they will be in Celsius. remember about 38 C is equal to 100 F. AMD cpu's should ALWAYS be below 65 C (150 F).

you are wireless right? the signal might just be too weak to have a good ping and will cut out on you

Also make sure you get the patch from AMD's website for dual core optimizer. that really helps with stability problems

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
To schusterjo:

I'm not sure if it's the problem, and when I loaded window, I deleted all partitions that i had before (there were 2) and used all the extra space for windows. When I boot up I press F1, then it'll take me to a black screen with two "Windows XP Home" choices, the first one works, the other one doesn't.
I could post some pictures if you tell me how to put one on the forum page >>

To kryptonite1055:
Alright I downloaded Speed Fan, and my CPU never goes over 30 C >>
But looking at it, when I try to run Freetar Hero, it'll go to 100% and the program will lock up, then it'll go down to 30%, then back up to 100%, like it's skipping on a disk.

Yeah I'm on wireless, but if I had too low of a ping, wouldn't it come back in a little bit? It never does >>

I got the patch from AMD, but then I had to go through and re-install my wireless drivers, it stopped recognizing my wireless adapter when it got loaded. So now I'm up the "Wireless Network Connection 8"! >>

ty for the responses and suggestions!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.