Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Dell Dimiension 8200 w/ 30gb hard drive, 256mb ram, 1gb processor. I have Windows Xp Professional. The computer takes about 7-8 minutes to boot up properly, and takes a long time for the control panel to come up.

I have run Spy-Bot1.6 twice. Each time has almost took two days to finish. The first, 300 errors were found, 7 could not be fixed. The second time, 2 errors were found, and all fixed.

The computer is no better. Also I have went into Msconfig in Run and unchecked the startups, and disabled all non-microsoft services.

I can not enable my user account option, as it gives me a message saying " Client services for netware" must be uninstalled. I researched this to no avail. I tried to go into My Networks and network connections, and uninstall Netware, but nothing came up.

Any help with this would be great. I am lost on this one, and don't have a Xp disc to reboot it.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Your installed RAM is inadequate. 512 is considered a minimum.

Download and install HijackThis. Run it and click on the button "Do a system scan and save a logfile". When the scan is completed, a notepad window will open with the logfile.

In the Notepad header bar click "Format" and make sure "Word Wrap" is not checked. Then click "Edit" and "Select All", right-click in the blue area and select "Copy", then Paste it into your next post to this thread.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It may take me a few days, as this computer is sloooow, especially online. I am on my laptop right now. Thanks, will be doing that soon. I was wondering about the RAM though. I had seen where it was been sold, discussed as a 512. So, maybe that's it. I guess I never thought that would be it because for years i used a 64mb Win98 that was 100 times faster than this Xp. lol Thanks, hear from me soon.

·
Trusted Advisor
85,507 Posts
cooper:

256 MB is way too little RAM to run Windows XP. No matter how much performance tweaking you do, that computer is going to run like a turtle until you add more RAM.

Your model supports up to 2048 MB of RAM. Unfortunately, it uses PC600 or PC800 modules, which are noticably more expensive than other type modules.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Go back into the "Startup" tab and write down the names of the entries that still have a checkmark, then post their names here in a vertical list. Make sure to spell them exactly as you see them.

Get rid of Spybot. You're using a very old version anyway.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.