Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Xerox Phaser 8500 color laser printer.

This printer uses solid ink with separate black, yellow, magenta, and cyan "sticks."

I print almost exclusively black text. After less than 150 pages, the printer asks to replace the yellow ink. Fine. I do it.

I print another 150 pages or so of 99% black text. The printer asks to replace the magenta ink.

I decide to ignore it and switch all my printer settings to black-n-white. Now, the printer won't print at all, even black text. It keeps asking for the magenta ink.

I've brought up the issue with Xerox text support and they say that even with black text the printer uses some color. Gotta be Bullsht! They just want me to buy more of their color ink even though I rarely use it.

Anyone know of a workaround for this? I've tried everything from re-booting both the computer and printer (including unplugging from electrical, and unplugging USB, etc). Thnank you. :)

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Well I thing you are stuck with adding the color ink. The printer melts all four at the same time and uses them all during the cleaning and testing cycle. If you dont replace the ink the heads for one color could stop working. A Phaser is used primarary for printing color pictures. If you want just black and white I suggest you use a much cheaper to run laser printer.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.