Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How difficult is it to set up a new wireless laptop computer to a router and downloading the security for this wireless? I bought a Linsky router but haven't received it yet.

I will also want to connect my non-wireless laptop to this router (won't be moved from the couch). Will I be able to do this as well?

One more thing - my husband is going to use the wireless and my question is if he turns on his computer in the morning to retrieve e-mail ..... and I turn on my computer a few hours later - will I not be able to access the e-mail he downloaded earlier?

As you can see I'm a real dummy when it comes to wireless and having two computers.

Oh yes - I also heard you can have your printer/scanner in another room and remotely print documents without being hooked up to the printer. Is this possible?

:confused:

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I'm going to try to answer in order....

How difficult is it to set up a new wireless laptop computer to a router and downloading the security for this wireless? I bought a Linsky router but haven't received it yet. Quite easy. You just need to make sure the router and wireless card are using the same security key, which YOU set up. Just read the manuals. Set up the router from a wired PC first though, if possible

I will also want to connect my non-wireless laptop to this router (won't be moved from the couch). Will I be able to do this as well? Yes, if the router has a hard-wire (RJ-45) port on the rear for this.

One more thing - my husband is going to use the wireless and my question is if he turns on his computer in the morning to retrieve e-mail ..... and I turn on my computer a few hours later - will I not be able to access the e-mail he downloaded earlier? That depends on the server and your email settings. For instance, you can set Outlook to 'Leave a copy of messages on the serer', which means they will stay there until someone deletes them. In that way, both of you will be able to download them to your local machines. However, you MUST go in and delete them regularly, otherwise your account will fill up, and not receive more emails.

As you can see I'm a real dummy when it comes to wireless and having two computers.

Oh yes - I also heard you can have your printer/scanner in another room and remotely print documents without being hooked up to the printer. Is this possible? Yes, using printer sharing. You need to make sure each computer can see the other one, then tell the computer WITHOUT the printer attached to use the printer on the other machine via network connection....hard to explain, but fairly easy to do.

Scorp.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your quick response. This is the info on the router - Additional Information about Linksys WRT54G Wireless Router. I am assuming it has the RJ-45 - can you tell from reading below?

Product Information
The Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router is really three devices in one box. First, there's the Wireless Access Point, which lets you connect both screaming fast Wireless-G (802.11g at 54Mbps) and Wireless-B (802.11b at 11Mbps) devices to the network. There's also a built-in 4- port full-duplex 10/100 Switch to connect your wired-Ethernet devices together. Connect four PCs directly, or attach more hubs and switches to create as big a network as you need. Finally, the Router function ties it all together and lets your whole network share a highspeed cable or DSL Internet connection. Once your computers are connected to the Router and the Internet, they can communicate with each other too, sharing resources and files. All your computers can print on a shared printer connected anywhere in the house. And your computers can share all kinds of files -- music, digital pictures, and documents.

Key Features
Router Functionalities DHCP Server, Firewall, VPN Pass-Thru, Wireless Access Point
Connectivity Wireless

Interfaces
Built-In 4-port Built-In Switch
LAN Interfaces 10/100 Base-T
WAN Interfaces 1 x 10/100 Base-T

Standards and Protocols
LAN Standards IEEE 802.3 CSMA/CD or Ethernet, IEEE 802.3u 100 Mbps (Fast Ethernet)
Protocols DHCP

Firewall / VPN
Firewall Features Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI)

Wireless
WLAN Standards IEEE 802.11g/b
802.11b Data Rates 11 Mbps, 5.5 Mbps, 2 Mbps, 1 Mbps
802.11g Data Rates 54 Mbps, 48 Mbps, 36 Mbps, 24 Mbps, 28 Mbps, 12 Mbps, 9 Mbps, 6 Mbps, 5.5 Mbps, 2 Mbps, 1 Mbps
Modulation 16QAM, 64QAM, BPSK, CCK, DBPSK, DQPSK, DSSS, OFDM, QPSK
Security WEP, WPA, Wireless MAC Address Filtering
Antenna Type Detachable Antenna x 2

Other Features
Additional Features Auto Crossover (MDI/MDI-X)

Dimensions
Width 7.32 in.
Depth 7.87 in.
Height 1.89 in.
Weight 1.06 lb.

Miscellaneous
MPN WRT54G

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Yup, you can hard wire 4 PC's to that, plus as many wireless laptops/pc's as you might ever want. Should be a good setup once done.

Scorp.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great news ...... so one of my computers is not wireless and the new one will be. Is it hard to set up the wireless? I was reading the on-line pamphlet and it seems very involved. I was hoping the new computer would just do it automatically...when you put in the CD that comes with the router. I'm thinking maybe I will have to pay someone to come in and set it all up.... grrrr.

Also because we use the laptops on our sectional I was going to put the router on the floor - but I read it has to be set higher on some shelf. We have no shelves in our family room..... :eek: :eek:

Can you clarify some of the questions I have?

Happy New Year!

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
It is not hard to set up wireless...as stated, you must just make sure the laptop is using the 'key' that YOU will assign on the router.....and come to think of it, some don't even require it...but then you will be open to anyone in range using YOUR internet....a bit like a radio station...anyone in range can hear it....so use a key, it's much more secure.

And as for where to put the router....I've seen 3 on a floor where they work with no problems whatsoever....so pretty much anywhere you like....just bear in mind that you will need to get wiring to it.

Any more questions, please ask...it's what we are here for :D

Scorp.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you! Yes I had heard that you have to secure or at least it is highly recommended. If you don't mind - when I receive it - I will probably be asking more questions.

My brother who lives in England just called and he said that even though the new computer is wireless - it is still best to keep it plugged in if you aren't moving it. It would be faster.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.