Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok well myhard drive failed in one of my computers so i tried to do a hard drive transfer from one computer to another. well after i transfered it, a error screen comes up saying "non system disk or disk error, replace and strike any key when ready" so i put in a boot disk and i can get to DOS and everything, but how would i boot up my hard drive from a boot disk? i tried changing the boot sequence and i tried typing C:\ and every other letter trying to get to that drive through DOS, with no luck, so any help is appreciated here, thank you...

PS - the hard drive did work in the previous computer it was in, and all of the connections seem to be correct, in fact i am 99.9% sure the connections are fine, and the hard drive does make noise when the computer is turned on..

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
What OS? You can't boot into a Windows NT based system from a DOS floppy. NTFS hard drives are invisible to DOS.

What do you mean you did a transfer? Did you put that drive in another computer, or clone it to a new hard drive?

Please explain exactly what you did.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the hard drive had windows ME on it if im not mistaken, and what i did was i took a hard drive out of one computer(it was the primary in that computer), and i am trying to put it in my current computer, where it would also be a primary hard drive..

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yea i am fairly positive that the cables are connected prorperly and i have tried every boot order possible...can a hard drive erase everything by being disconnected? or are there any other explanations...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea i think i figured half of it out...i made a windows ME boot disk and now my cd drives are responding along with my hard drive, but what commands woulf i put in to see if my hard drive is still usable without having to get a windows disk?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yessir, if i boot without it it just goes to an error screen saying "non system disk, replace and stirke any key when ready" and i dont have any disks in the computer...do you have aol or anything, it would be alot easier and fast if we could talk like that...

·
Registered
16,274 Posts
Boot with the bootdisk again and when it finishes at the A> prompt
try typing sys c:
Wait a second to see if you get a message that the files have been copied to the hard drive..If so then remove the bootdisk and try rebooting.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
"cannot find the SYS file in the standard location on drive C:. SYS can only be used on drive c: to attempt a repair of an already exsisting installation of windows. Use windows SETUP to make C: bootable"

im guessing that means windows got deleted off of the drive somehow and i now need a windows disk...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok well on the monitor: the compaq screen comes up for about 3 seconds, then goes balck to the error message "non system disk, blah blah blah"

when i put the hard drive up to my earr as this happens: it makes a quiet grinding noise, but not to the point where something is loose...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.