Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am new here but heard good things. I recently obtained a Compaq Portable ll, I believe Model 3, it has the 5 1/4 Floppy Drive as well as a 10 meg HDD. I am trying to boot the computer and get it working again but I keep getting a message telling me to run setup. I have read other places that this can be caused by the CMOS battery being dead. My first question is, on the inside of the computer, the AA type battery, is that the CMOS battery? Because if so, I replaced that, but still have the same message. My other question is that do I need to get the 3.2 Discs to get this OS of DOS working before I can upgrade with the MS-DOS 5.0 Discs that I have? I only ask this because when the 5.0 discs are in, there is no change in the start-up.
Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks
Nick Marchese

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
Howdy znick2480...

Sorry to have to tell you this...but those I believe used a 5 1/4 CMOS setup disk, the Setup isn't stored in the EEPROM the configuration was...

the AA type battery, is that the CMOS battery?
Yes that was the battery...

You might try asking these guys here to see if they have the disk...

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/index.php

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
You may be able to find some ancient 3rd party utilities to configure the CMOS on that machine too, I seem to remember they were around. :)

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
My friend...

Everything in the CMOS is controlled by the Setup disk, without it all you have is a very large paper weight...

There is no resetting it...

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
Listen...

Without that setup disk that computer doesn't even know what it is, it doesn't matter what dos version you have, you are not going to be able to load it untill you tell the computer what it has...

You are not going past the Load Setup message untill you do load the Setup via the disk...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.