Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I have 2 laptops, One has an aircard for internet connection.
If I connect the 2 computers via Ethernet cables, can I Bridge one laptop to the other so they can share the connection? If so, what is the process? And also, would we be able to use one printer as well?

Or if anyone has a suggestion what we can do, that would be great.
Thank You,
Michael

·
Super Moderator
65,526 Posts
should be able to - what the windows version on each machine and you may need to use a crossover etherent cable not a straight cable - depends if the connectors are autosensing

you would use ICS internet connection sharing or bridge depending on windows version

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, so I connect a regular ethernet cable and do one of the links you have listed and this will work with an air card. Is that correct?

I know that when setting up an aircard, you don't go through normal networking proceedure you go through the aircards setup.

Michael

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
OK, so I connect a regular ethernet cable and do one of the links you have listed and this will work with an air card.
Maybe!

If neither of the NICs is auto-sensing (MDI/MDIX) you need a cross-over cable. Most systems that have been sold with Vista or Windows 7 have auto-sensing NICs.

Bridging may not work, as that requires obtaining two public IP addresses from your ISP.

ICS may not work because some mobile wireless ISPs block it.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I see.
So I am going to assume that it is most likely not going to be able to be done. We have the 2 computers together this weekend, so I will test it. Thank you for your input. If it does work over an aircard, I will let everyone here know.

Michael

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.