Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning,

So I'm very software savvy, but totally helpless when it comes to installing hardware. I bought a DVD burner, and have installed it (almost) in my computer. Here's where I'm stuck. It's in the slot, but I haven't plugged it in yet. I've already got a cd rom/burner drive and a dvd drive. I don't know which cables go where. I don't see any room left on the motherboard to plug in the really small cable. I don't want to just go ahead and play with it, because I was warned that I could fry the computer because of the master/primary slave thing. Can I just remove the patch cables from the dvd drive and plug the dvd burner in there in its place? Just substitute one for the other and then install the driver??

Thanks TONS for any help.

W.

·
Registered
14 Posts
How many hard drives do you have in your computer?

What wattage is your power supply?

And Do you need a Cb burner, DVD-Rom and DVD-burner in the same machine?

Just curious. I had a Cd-rom and Cd Burner before I bought my first DVD burner and now I just have two Dvd Burners in my computer. When will there be a time when you need three Optical drives in a single machine? Unless you do sound or Video Editting. I don't see much use for having more that two Especially when the DVD burner can burn cd as well.

Thanks,
Guntok

P.s. That small cable will not effect the functionality of the drive working but it could effect sound out put

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I'm saying, I could easily go without the dvd rom drive. Can I just switch them out, and then install the drivers for the new drive? I'm not sure what my power supply wattage is, and I'm not at that computer right now.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yeah you can just unplug the cables from back of the DVD-rom drive. But just remember to change the jumper settings to the same settings the old drive had or set them cable select. The audio cable should fit easily in the same port on the DVD-burner.

Guntok

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you removed the Old Dvd rom drive, look at the back of the drive. You will see a series of pins. They will be located usually between the ribbon cable and where the audio cable plugs into the back of the drive.

It you look above the pin section. you should notice a CS(Cable Select) Ma(Master) Sla(Slave) options imprinted into the metal housing. That denotes what placement the jumper is set to

You just need to make sure that the jumper on the new drive matches up to that on the old drive. That way you don't have any conflicts. Those Jumper match up with the placement of the drive on the ribbon cable.

If the Ribbon cable has two connectors in addition to the one that plugs into the motherboard, the one farthest from the motherboard will be the primary IDE port on that cable or the Master jumper setting. The one closest would be secondary or the Slave setting.

If the Drive is already set to the CS or Cable select jumper setting then the drive can go in both ports without a problem. With that setting the drive lets the cable select the correct settings.

Then just remember when you are looking at the ribbon cable the edge of the cable that has been painted red, indicates the Pin1. That side of the cable usually is closest to side that the power connector plugs into the drive.

I hope that clears things up a bit. Sorry

Guntok

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool, thanks for the explanation. I'll be doing this in a few hours, as soon as I get the time to take the whole damn thing apart again. I will let you know if I get it hooked up properly.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, I think I might have to bite the bullet and take this to someone. I did what you said, but when I go to Start and Explore, when I click on that drive it says it is not accessible.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.