Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this isn't the greatest place to post this but I have searched the net to find an appropriate forum and failed and there are no forums here that would be appropriate so I just posted here. I'm looking for a cheap portable computer thats only real purpose is for word processing that you can save on a disk, theres no need for a hard drive or cd rom all I'm looking for is a labtop where you can type a text file and save it to a floppy disk, it doesn't matter if it has a fast processor because its just word processing. You may be thinking why not just get a palm pilot you can hook it up to your pc and save it to that because they have those keyboards you can buy well its for my dad and he doesn't have a computer. So if someone knows of something like this and where it can be bought would that would be great, I have searched and can't seem to find anything.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Have you tried ebay? Look under used or Vintage computers. Any old computer can do this. Just boot to a dos prompt with dos loaded on the boot floppy then use the EDIT program to make text files. Or with a small hard drive you can load win3.1 and use notepad. Computer shows around here sometimes sell old IBM 486 laptops.

·
Account Disabled
1,222 Posts
You don't need to have a computer to use a Palm Pilot. A Palm Pilot won't let you save documents to disks though, and the screen is pretty small.

If you buy ANY computer, it will have to have a hard drive because you'll need to install an operating system and any software that he wants to use for Word Processing.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by Max19
If you buy ANY computer, it will have to have a hard drive because you'll need to install an operating system and any software that he wants to use for Word Processing.
Thats not true, I have seen computers whos sole purpose is writing e-mail, theres no hard drive, its onboard memory. Just like a Palm Pilot or organizer. And I'm aware that you don't have to have a computer to have a palm pilot, but as you said and I said before it can't write to a disk without a computer so its completely useless to him. And I don't feel comfortable buying things on e-bay but thanks everybody for your help.

·
Account Disabled
1,222 Posts
The machines you're referring to that just do e-mail are not "computers" in the sense nearly everyone recognizes because they serve ONE purpose only. They are e-mail appliances. There are also net appliances. If we're using your definition of a computer, then a car, a calculator, a slot machine, a cordless phone, and countless of other items are computers. If all you want to do is word processing and save to a disk, then purchase a Brother word processor. They don't have hard drives, and the only thing you can do with them is save documents to floppy disks.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Max19

No you don't need a hard drive on your computer. My father uses an old computer that boots off a 5 1/4 floppy drive to load DOS. then he can load the wordstar (or calcstar) program from floppy also and print or save the information back to floppy. No he doesn't want a newer computer. His does just what he wants.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Max19 thank you so so much I looked into the brother word processors those are so totally incredibly perfect, I can't thank you enough, its perfect, I can't put it in words, its so perfect its exactly what he wants. And having a dictionary and a printer in it I'm speechless, its friggin perfect!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.