Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 laptops. Laptop A is connected to Netgear router wirelessly. It was the original computer I set the router up with. The new Laptop B is currently connected directly. I'm kinda new with networking so bear with me. I can't get the 2 computers to find one another. I have tried changing workgroup names, running wireless network wizard, and still nothing. On Laptop B when I try to view workgroup computers an error message comes up that says "You might not have permission to use this network resource... The list of servers for this workgroup is currently unavailable." On laptop A when I try to view workgroup computers it only shows itself. I know that it could be a million things but if someone could point me in the right direction, it would really help.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Please supply the following info, exact make and models of the equipment please.

Make/model of the router.
Connection type, wired, wireless.
If wireless, encryption used, (WEP, WPA, WPA2, etc.)
Make/model of network card or wireless adapter.
Make/model of your computer (motherboard if home-built).
Version and patch level of Windows on all affected machines, i.e. XP-Home (or XP-Pro), SP2, Vista, etc.

Let's see this for each of the two computers.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following commands:

nbtstat -n
ipconfig /all

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Netgear Wireless Router
WGR614
using WEP encryption

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--- Dell Inspiron 9300 (wireless connection)
Windows XP Media Center Edition SP2
Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Card

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--- Dell Inspiron 8500 (wired connection)
Windows XP Pro SP2
Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
If you enabled file and printer sharing chances are you have a firewall problem. 3rd party firewalls must be uninstalled or properly configured for LAN access. Sometimes 'disable' or 'turn off' will work.

On each PC open a command window and ping the other by IP address and, if you get 4 Replies, by Computer Name. For example with the above info on Hampton-1 you would type
ping 192.168.1.3
ping home

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.