Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:) Hi, I'm new here...

I've just finshed a course in video post production and I am looking for work, a process that involves creating showreel, burning it to DVD, and mailing it off to prospective employers.

However it is Christmas/New Year and I don't about your country but in my country (New Zealand) almost everything shuts down for a fortnight while everybody goes to the beach. :cool: Which wouldn't be too bad because presumedly all my prospective employers are at the beach as well. Except there's a job with a local TV company that I really want to apply for where applications are due on the 8th...

Except my computer died on the 27th and to cut a long story short I ended up buying an ex lease system unit with a more modern motherboard and CPU than my old one, the same amount of ram and a much nicer video card. :up: I got the store to transfer my harddrive, modem, and DVD burner across. The only thing I didn't like about the computer was that it had Windows XP Home installed on it instead of XP Pro.

I picked up the computer late on Friday afternoon set it up, plugged in the speakers, mouse etc only to discover that while the computer obviously has the hardware to produce sound it doesn't think it has a sound card. I discovered this 5 minute after the store closed for the weekend. Because it is New Year the store won't reopen until the 3rd.

None of my video editing/DVD authoring software will work without sound. Examining the computer, it looks like it has onboard sound rather than a sound card. Going into BIOS I discover that the onboard sound has been disabled so I enable it. When XP is loaded it fires up the new hardware wizard telling me I need a driver for the Multimedia Audio Controller, goes looking it and can't find it. Unfortunately it doesn't tell me what type of Multimedia Audio Controller it is so I don't know what to look for, because it is a second hand computer I know nothing about the motherboard - all I know it that it has a Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz processor. I ended up downloading a program called Driver Detective but it wants me to register before it will tell me and at the price it is asking I could probably buy a brand new sound card.

Is there a free driver detection utility out there?

I have the install disk for XP Pro if I upgraded from Home to Pro would it tell me the driver that I need for audio? I've been bit hesitant about this step since it has previously been installed on another computer doesn't activation involve ringing up Microsoft and grovelling to the staff to allow me to install the OS on a new system? With the long weekend I don't whether there is any staff at Microsoft New Zealand to grovel to! :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
View it as one of the joys of being connected to the Internet on a planet with an axial tilt :cool: .

Thank you for that, the program you recommended gave me the make and model of the motherboard and I was able to get the driver from the manufacturers website. I now have sound on my computer. :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there
I seem to have the same problem with mine.Can someone help me? HEre are my specs

Mainboard : Asus P4S800MX
Chipset : SiS 661FX/GX
Processor : Intel Pentium 4 @ 2800 MHz
Physical Memory : 512 MB (1 x 512 DDR-SDRAM )
Video Card : Nvidia Corp GeForce2 MX/MX 400 [NV11]
Hard Disk : WDC (80 GB)
DVD-Rom Drive : LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1213S
Monitor Type : Hewlett Packard hp L1702 - 17 inches
Network Card : Silicon Integrated Systems (SiS) SiS900 10/100 Ethernet Adapter
Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.01.2600 Service Pack 1
DirectX : Version 9.0c

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.