Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is 1 2 test the super techies out there.....

Have u ever noticed that various system tools that need low level access to change windows files that would normally be locked by Xp run under what seems to be a standard Microsoft pre-loading screen

I am curious as to what this developer tool is called ? plus for some reason on my PC the loading screen has corrupted colours (horrible muddy green instead of blue)
I wonder if there is a file which can be modified in the same way as the standard XP loading screen

These apps. all use it for boot-time modifications - PartitionMagic, Diskeeper, Sysinternals - PageDefrag etc.)

Any info. would be appreciated - web searches have drawn a blank

Cheers
[email protected]

PS. I have attached a snapshot of the normal screen as it used to appear...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
When you see that screen, the OS kernel has loaded and the BIOS control has been passed off to the OS, but little else has loaded. The apps you mentioned (and more) use a kernel hook to interrupt the boot process and run their routine(s), then when they have finished, pass control back to the OS and booting resumes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks BBearren

Any idea if the 'background image' is held as a graphic file in the same way as the normal XP boot screen

The apps. mentioned previously only seem to overlay their own text over the blue background

The reason I am interested is that for some reason the colours are screwed on my PC
(it used to display correctly)
I have the proper video drivers loaded, the BIOS loading screen, XP loading screens & Windows all behave normally without a problem

It seems to me that for some reason my PC is displaying the image at the wrong colour depth ? , (the blue areas show as muddy green)

A petty problem you might think - but I am nothing if not curious :)

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Have you tried it with a different monitor?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.