Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a dell dimension e310 with windows xp media center.... It has; an intel pentium 4 2.80 ghz and 512 mb of memory....the video card is apparently contained within the board itself...After a few minutes of use it freezes up....sometimes the mouse is still usable and the taskmanager will open....when i do this it shows no activity in my cpu and no memory being used....sometimes i can restart and sometimes i cannot....as well, a constant beeping comes from the back, but this doesnt lways happen...I have been searching like crazy for an explanation....any help would be greatly appreciated....i dont think it is a virus as i have checked with avira and malware bytes....:(

·
Registered
178 Posts
Ah, windows, u gotta hate it.

if anything is happening, mouse movement etc, it is probably a program looking for attention with its window hidden behind other stuff. It should be visible in ur taskbar. This will stop everything else and show no activity, because nothing is happening. It is waiting for input from u.

If everything is stopped, windoz is probably looking for something, like a response from a com port that it queried. That is harder to figure out.
Stop any BT software first.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the input...but i dont think thats it...i dont have a torrent program running at all....i lose the ability to switch to a different window....also windows explorer and dr. watson stop and restart...i think i may need to reinstall windows....but i bought my pc used and dont have a disc...oh well....i guess ill have to fork out some cash...:mad:

·
Registered
178 Posts
it doesn't have anything to do with a torrent program.
sometimes windoz just goes out and does housecleaning and checks things.
While it checks it stops everything else. DUMB but that is what windows has always done and it is associated with com ports.

If u have to buy a new OS disk try to get an OEM one. a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sometimes it happens when im trying to play games...even old ones like panzer general....and other times when im just working on the net...filling out forms and the like....it doesnt usually happen when im just doing stuff in windows (organizing folders,reading pdfs) and if it does it takes longer for it to happen....and sorry ruggb...i thought by BT you meant bit torrent....:confused:

·
Registered
178 Posts
OK, my take.
There is a program running in the background which is hanging up waiting for input.

U can chase this a couple ways.

stop programs from running on boot using MSCONFIG or kill programs that are running with Taskmanager. or both.

If u go to Diagnostic Startup in MSCONFIG u might stop programs u need to do the normal things u do - it basically stops anything it considers none essential. ALMOST like safe mode.

If u don't know what the programs are or are not using them u can stop them. However, unless u are high tech, most are not going to be obvious - some will.

try this first.
go to Task manager (ctl alt del) and close all the apps and processes u are not using. Seems to me I had an issue once with MS Picture Manager (OIS) that created a similar problem. To long ago to remember.

Then close the ones u are using one at a time.

If that produces no result do the MSCONFIG thing.
Its a slow process.

If none of that produces a result, it may be a hardware issue.
Then it is off to Device Manager to uninstall some drivers.

also, just because u ran ur AV doesn't mean u are virus free.
I usually run both superantispyware and antimalwarebytes.
make sure the defs are current first and run them a few times.
sometimes they find things after they find things.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
alrighty...this is whats happening....i went and started the puter in diagnostic like ruggb said....lo and behold...no problems....so, i think he is right....thanks dude....anyway...im wondering which process it is that giving me all this trouble....is there a place in xp where i can find exactly what each one does...also, i went and looked in eventviewer and i have some errors and warnings....but it's really all greek to me....but im getting somewhere.... finally...thank you...:up:

·
Registered
178 Posts
I would start with shutting off any that are not MS processes or services.
especially bluetooth.

Again use the 1/2 process and u will zero in on it faster.

the errors and warning have help me in the past but they are very vague.
if u read them carefully they MIGHT indicate a direction, or not.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
If you can post some Event Viewer error messages from around the time(s) that the crashes occur, that would also be helpful.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i was looking in my services and saw this....VTINGWINIE...it looked out of place so i googled it and saw that it is listed as a trojan....none of my antivirus or antimalware saw it....i wonder if that could be the problem...
i m not sure how to post the events....when i look ino tthem i cannot copy the info....i do have a few that say com+ failed to initialize...im going to try and run some different malware programs....we'll see if we can get rid of this one thing and see what happens

·
Registered
178 Posts
that would be a HIGH priority removal.
Backdoor trojan.

that would explain a lot

which AV have u run so far?

I use superantispyware and antimalwarebytes and NOD32.

I did have a virus a couple months ago that none of them picked up and few of the ones on virustotal.com saw either. and none of them listed it as much of a threat it just looked suspicious - like a lot of non-virus files do.

they keep getting better.

be interesting to see which ones on virustotal.com see it
if u can isolate the actual file try sending it to them.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
This is a pretty serious issue that needs to be dealt with ASAP. To have buried itself as a service is pretty tricky, and probably tough to remove.

To assist in your problem, we need you to download HijackThis (http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/threat_analytics/HJTInstall.exe). Install the program (it will save to C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis), run it, and select 'Scan'. Do not fix anything yet, just select 'Save log', and copy the contents of the log to your next post. A security expert will be along to check the log. Please be patient.

If, after 48 hours, you have not received a response, click on the 'Report' button at the bottom of your post, and ask politely to have the post moved to the Malware Removal forum.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Could you tell us a bit more about the bleeping?
Some bleeps mean something... it is a kind of code for computer technicians which tells you what is wrong with your computer. Maybe look it up (eg 4 short bleeps) to see what it means.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
I've copied your log and pasted it here.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 1:38:24 PM, on 8/13/2009
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18702)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\sched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Zune\ZuneLauncher.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\QCDriver3\LVCOMS.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\LogiShrd\LComMgr\Communications_Helper.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\DMXLauncher.exe
C:\Program Files\TweakNow PowerPack Pro\CDAuto.exe
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avgnt.exe
C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avguard.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\LogiShrd\LVMVFM\LVPrcSrv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\tcpsvcs.exe
c:\WINDOWS\system32\ZuneBusEnum.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehmsas.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehSched.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://google.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Windows Internet Explorer provided by Comcast
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = localhost
F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=C:\WINDOWS\system32\Userinit.exe
O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost
O1 - Hosts: 209.44.111.57 alarm-monitor.microsoft.com
O1 - Hosts: 209.44.111.57 antivir2009pro.com
O1 - Hosts: 209.44.111.57 www.antivir2009pro.com
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {4E7BD74F-2B8D-469E-D0FC-E57AF4D5FA7D} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: StumbleUpon Toolbar - {5093EB4C-3E93-40AB-9266-B607BA87BDC8} - C:\Program Files\StumbleUpon\StumbleUponIEBar.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zune Launcher] "c:\Program Files\Zune\ZuneLauncher.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Verizon_McciTrayApp] C:\Program Files\Verizon\McciTrayApp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LVCOMS] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\QCDriver3\LVCOMS.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LogitechCommunicationsManager] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\LogiShrd\LComMgr\Communications_Helper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSScheduler] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe" -start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxtray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxpers] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxhkcmd] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ehTray] C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DMXLauncher] C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\DMXLauncher.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CD Autorun] C:\Program Files\TweakNow PowerPack Pro\CDAuto.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avgnt] "C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avgnt.exe" /min
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [updateMgr] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\AdobeUpdateManager.exe" AcRdB7_0_9 -reboot 1
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SUPERAntiSpyware] C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\RunOnce: [CheckNetworkConnection] "C:\Program Files\Support.com\providerComcast\desktopdoctor.exe" /flow /flow=diagnosenetwork /trayclick=true /haveconfirmedwiring=true /haverenewed=true /haverestartedmodem=true /onrestart=true /havehealed=true /issuenumber=8136debd-7283-4e3c-8ab2-9d3ced0a92f2
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {01113300-3E00-11D2-8470-0060089874ED} (Support.com Configuration Class) - http://pccheckup.dellfix.com/sdccommon/download/tgctlcm.cab
O16 - DPF: {0E5F0222-96B9-11D3-8997-00104BD12D94} (PCPitstop Utility) - http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit/PCPitStop.CAB
O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.dll
O23 - Service: Avira AntiVir Scheduler (AntiVirSchedulerService) - Avira GmbH - C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\sched.exe
O23 - Service: Avira AntiVir Guard (AntiVirService) - Avira GmbH - C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avguard.exe
O23 - Service: FLEXnet Licensing Service - Macrovision Europe Ltd. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FLEXnet Publisher\FNPLicensingService.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
O23 - Service: LVCOMSer - Logitech Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LogiShrd\LVCOMSER\LVComSer.exe
O23 - Service: Process Monitor (LVPrcSrv) - Logitech Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LogiShrd\LVMVFM\LVPrcSrv.exe
O23 - Service: StarWind AE Service (StarWindServiceAE) - Rocket Division Software - C:\Program Files\Alcohol Soft\Alcohol 120\StarWind\StarWindServiceAE.exe
O23 - Service: StumbleUponUpdateService - stumbleupon.com - C:\Program Files\StumbleUpon\StumbleUponUpdateService.exe
O23 - Service: VTingWinIe - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\svchost.exe (file missing)

--
End of file - 7207 bytes

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yeah, im gonna continue trying to troubleshoot this issue...but im working with 512mb memory and i figure i may as well go ahead and upgrade to to like 2gb just so that i have it....also, any ideas on how to identify which svchost is doing what?....i have a few of them running and i dont know what they are doing...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.