Tech Support Guy banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This has only started happening recently. I got a webcam for my PC not long ago and it worked fine for a while, but now my PC only registers it as an audio device and it's not detecting that it's a webcam, so the camera doesn't work. I've tried things like changing the privacy settings to allow the camera to be used in apps, or disabling/uninstalling the device, changing the USB port it's plugged into, restarting my computer, also tried to search for driver updates but it says it's up to date. Using Windows 10 btw.

I don't think the issue is the webcam because it's still pretty new, I think something is up with my drivers that's making it so my computer will only detect the audio and not the camera. Whenever I check the camera app to make sure it works, it's just a black screen. It's just become a microphone at this point. Anyone have any ideas? Cause I'm at a loss.

·
Trusted Advisor
25,951 Posts
also tried to search for driver updates but it says it's up to date. Using Windows 10 btw.
What is the make and full model of the webcam
Is it detected as a webcam on another computer - if it is possible for you to check that

If the device is shown ONLY as an audio device and you check for drivers on that - it will of course show it is up to date, as it is checking the driver for the audio device NOT for the webcam

In device manager - is there an entry for other devices
which there shows usb camera
If so it likely has an exclamation mark on that entry
IF that is the case it is that entry that you need to check

You amy also check on settings
devices
and see if on bluetooth and other devices
and under audio devices on main pane - the camera is listed but with a warning

1 - 2 of 2 Posts