Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an ASUS A7A 266 mother board with one stick of PC 133 SDRAM (128MB). I have an AMD DURON 800 processor. When I have my system under a lot of load (eg. using the CD-ROM drive to run a program or game) It will sometimes reboot. I have also noticed that all of my drives (floppy, CD, 2 fixed) are running sluggishly.

I am using a flatbed scanner and a mouse that run off of the system power through USB.

I have been told that if you get an AMD chip you're power supply should be at least 300watts and mine is only 250watts. That plus all the components, make me suspect my power supply can't handle the load. However, this only started happening within the last two weeks and I've had this system for a few months.

Is there a way to find out if it is the power supply?

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
233 Posts
The problem with AMD's chips and the power supply is not the wattage they supply, it's more related to the stability of the power, I mean, if the 5 volts are *really* 5 volts, and so on. It's better to have a AMD certified power supply if you want to avoid some troubles. But the problem you mention seems more like a problem with the OS rather than with the hardware, specially if you say that it was working fine a little ago... Try checking which applications are opened when this happens (CTRL-ALT- DEL only once to see the "Close Program" windows) if there's any strange program (perhaps a trojan or virus loaded: names kind like rundl1.exe or load.exe) .... And about testing the power supply: you need another one to see if this happens, but I doubt it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My operating system is Windows ME (That almost say's it all right there). I had copied the CD to my hard drive and installed it that way. Perhaps the setup files on the hard drive have been corrupted. I'll try reinstalling from the CD and see if that fixes the problem.

I cleaned the case, CPU fan and sink, and the power supply. They were caked with dusk. Ever since I did that It's been running a little more smoothly, although my CD-ROM still takes the better part of a minute to read a CD before it will let you use it.

Thanks for the help and if you have any thoughts please don't hesitate to post.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.