Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping for some help here! My Dell Dimension 8200 pc which is running Windows XP keeps shuting down and tells me it can not find a drive...specifically my E drive which is my cd/dvd driver. I'm suspecting a virus but I can't boot my computer up for longer than a minute. My desktop will pull up then just as I am about to select my computer it shuts down and gives me the message that Windows did not boot up properly F1 to restart or F2 to re set (I'm paraphrasing but it's the common BIOS screen).
In safemode my desktop pulls up nothing restarts and I've gone into msconfig to check my startup but I don't see anything out of order there.
I'm not sure how to search for the virus on this as I can't get my anti virus program to start after signing in (because it reboots too quickly) and nothing runs in safemode. Any suggestions??? I know bare minimum about computers and am at a loss as to what to check for next.
THANKS!

·
Registered
588 Posts
Does your computer just shutdown or does itgive you a specific error. Try acessing your computers bios and check and see what the system temperature is. It could be that your pc is running to hot and shuts down at a certain temperature. Also try installing something like speedfan to measure your cpu's temperature during normal use in windows. Also check on your motherboard if there is any capacitors that are a bit swollen. This cal also cause your system to freeze or shutdown

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
Is there any chance you could take your Hard Drive out and hook it up to another PC ... possibly a friend's ? If you set it as slave ... he / you can then run a virus scan on your HD on the alternate PC .... at the very least you would be able to rule out a virus as the cause.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for your replies. In response to the error message...no there isn't an error message. it starts out at the prompt to select f1 to start then it runs through that screen and gets to the main screen and asks for the password, after that it either makes it to the desktop and then reboots or it never gets to the windows admin screen (the one that asks for the password)before it reboots. We recently had a major power outage lasting 5 days and at first I thought that may have had something to do with it. But it worked fine for the first two days after the power was restored. The first thing it did when it started "acting up" was to not recognize my e drive. I thought perhaps because it keeps searching for it that that could have been the cause, but no. I truly believe I've picked up a virus somewhere.
I truly appreciate your input. Thank you!

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
BobbiD,

O had a power cut here in London occur while I was watching a streamed vid on a website. That wrecked the power supply and motherboard ... ie the pc didn't boot at all.

If you are convinced that your problem is related to a virus, and you have no way to keep Windows stable long enough to carry out a full AV Scan ... why not try my suggestion ? Take the Hard Disk out and hook it up in another machine as the slaved Hard Disk. And use the primary HD in this alternate machine, to run a virus scan on your own HD - if only to rule that out.

The only other option would be to right click on My Computer > click Hardware > click Device Manager > then right click on the Dev. Man entry for the errant drive - and delete it. Then reboot - hopefully the drive would then be auto detected as a new device.

However what other options have you, if Win consistently shuts down before you can attempt any fixes ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.