Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi
my daughter has a dell vostro 15" laptop that is 18 months old . she has complained of windows messenger not working (unable to sign in numerous times ) and generally getting slower and slower on everything else.
she runs it on windows xp and macafee security . she has maybe a hundred tracks and a few hundred photos ,apart from that its clutter free.
BIG problem happened yesterday . it just would not boot. there is just a black screen with the words
loading PBR for descriptor 2.... done

A disk read error occured
Press ctrl+alt+del to restart.
it dosnt restart sand just keeps showing the same message !
what can be wrong with it and can i put it right for her.
any advice would be greatly appreciated:up:

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Do you have the Dell O/S reinstallation CD?

·
Registered
62 Posts
i dont know much about this sort of thing, but i do know, that in the future, try to steer clear of dells. ive had a few dells, im using one now, and they have ALWAYS givin me trouble. Every last one. Stick with an HP or something

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i dont know much about this sort of thing, but i do know, that in the future, try to steer clear of dells. ive had a few dells, im using one now, and they have ALWAYS givin me trouble. Every last one. Stick with an HP or something
thanks , but getting her a samsung nc10 for xmas , just need to get this dell working for now so she can keep in contact with her friends

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
yes i do . havnt tried it though . should i !
First you should boot from the CD and choose Repair at the first opportunity. This will open the Recovery Console.

You may need to change the boot order in BIOS to make sure that CD-ROM is the first boot device.

Once in the Recovery Console, type

chkdsk /r

and hit enter. Notice the space between the "k" and the"/".

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
this is hard guys!. popped the dell xpo reinstall disc . all im getting is
1 allocate all available space to the C:/ partition
2 specify the size of the c: /partition (all remaining space will be allocated to D:/partition
3 quit
what do i do . theres nothing about recovery there etc . i am totally bamboozled

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Does the label on the CD say something to the effect of "O/S Reinstallation" or something to the effect of "Dell Recovery"?

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
If you have the Dell Diagnostics CD you might want to try that. There's a chance the hard drive MFT or MBR may be pooched.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you have the Dell Diagnostics CD you might want to try that. There's a chance the hard drive MFT or MBR may be pooched.
whats that one - never heard of that disc . all i got is dell drivers and utilities disc- microsoft works 8.5. - microsoft intellitype pro 5.2 - thats all the disc i have.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
The Dell Diagnostics should be one of the utilities on the drivers and utilities disc, and the disc should be bootable if it is. See if you can boot from it, and you'll get a menu if the diagnostic utility is on it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The Dell Diagnostics should be one of the utilities on the drivers and utilities disc, and the disc should be bootable if it is. See if you can boot from it, and you'll get a menu if the diagnostic utility is on it.
doing an express test which claims to take 10min - 20 min . the full extended test takes over an hour and im tired . let you no results in a bit :up:

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
doing an express test which claims to take 10min - 20 min . the full extended test takes over an hour and im tired . let you no results in a bit :up:
Good.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
test halted ....
error code ofoo 1344
msg block 241 444 uncorrectable data error or media is write protected
what now . this is all going over my head .

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.