Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when i select shut down from the start menue and click ok it sometimes just goes back to desktop but most of the time it will go to the windows98 is shutting down screen and stay there forever. I know this because i shut it down one day before i left for the weelend and when i came back it still was in the windows98 is shutting down screen. It has been weeks since the computer was successfully shut down because most of the time i just push the power button

THANKS

·
Registered
45,855 Posts
If the screen dims and then goes back to the desktop, this is a characteristic of the Mine trojan, an AOL password stealer. If you see uninstallims.exe or msdos98.exe in msconfig > startup tab (Start>Run>enter msconfig) or in your "close programs" window -- that's it.

You can do an online scan here: http://housecall.antivirus.com/pc_housecall/

If you have run an updated antivirus scan and have a clean bill of health there, try running msconfig, click on "advanced" and check "disable fast shutdown"

Here is a comprehensive shutdown troubleshooter:

http://www.aumha.org/a/shutdown.htm

Note, if you have Win98SE, there is a shutdown supplement patch that should be installed.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hi,

A few weeks ago I was experiencing the same problems... Here are two things that worked for me...

1) Mark (none) as the sound for the shutting down windows file... That worked for me. (sound in control panel)

2) Last week I had to re-install win98 because of something else... But that will work, it may be a little extreme to re-install windows again but it will solve the problem and the sound will be enabled again...

Hey BTW... I saw that post about using "startup cop"... Great program! Ive been wanting to get rid of all that crap in there.

Good Luck,
Rudy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.