Hello !!!!

I Just Build My Computer :

INTEL P4 3.4ghz 775lga
Asus P5gd1-vm Motherboard
1024mb Dual Channel Corsair Ddr
40g Ide Hdd (of My Old Computer)
Samsung Cd-rom And Cd-r/rw Drive
500w 24pin Psu

I Don´t Know What Happen With My Computer...while I´m Working The System Reboots Unexpectedly, Whe I Bought The Case I Changed The Psu 'couse Someone Tolds Me This Motherboard Works Better With 24pin Psu...ok Done !! The Problem Continue...i Have Upgraded The Bios Version From Asus Website And It Did Not Work !!!
Is Not Windows Problem...'couse The System Reboots While The Bios Configuration Is Loading, I'm Sure That The Fans Works Properly....
What The Hell Is Happening With My Computer ??? If Anyone Have Any Idea..please Let Me Know......thanx !!!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I bet it's bad memory. The auto-restart happens in windows probably because the auto-restart has been turned on. For winxp...
right click MY COMPUTER, select PROPERTIES,
go to the ADVANCED tab, click on SETTINGS
under STARTUP AND RECOVERY, uncheck AUTOMATICALLY RESTART.

Now while in windows, you should see a blue screen of death instead of an automatic reboot. If not, then your problem is more serious. Blue screen of death is usually memory related.

·
Registered
253 Posts
The power supply might just be defective. The problem you're having sounds like a bad PSU. Try and switch it out.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
CRCACER said:
i Have Upgraded The Bios Version From Asus Website And It Did Not Work !!!

Is Not Windows Problem...'couse The System Reboots While The Bios Configuration Is Loading.
Please clarify:

1. Did the BIOS upgrade FAIL???

2. Does the Boot Process make it past the BIOS loading and into Windows anymore?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All Fans Work Fine Too !!! But I Found Yesterday An Option In The Bios Config That Controls The Power....i Will Try With That....i'll Let You Know The News......
But If Anyone Knows Or Can Give To Me Any Ideas...

Thanx !!!

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
CRCACER said:
All Fans Work Fine Too !!! But I Found Yesterday An Option In The Bios Config That Controls The Power....i Will Try With That....i'll Let You Know The News......
But If Anyone Knows Or Can Give To Me Any Ideas...

Thanx !!!
did you try changing out the ram or test your existing ram??

·
Registered
21 Posts
I noticed you have Dual Channel RAM. This can sometimes be a problem, its either not installed correctly or the bus speed is set incorrectly. I would double check the RAM manufacturers website for instructions on how to install and configure. Good luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey

I'm having close to, or maybe even exactly, the same problem.

I've got:
A64 3500+ Venice
DFI Lanparty UT Ultra D
500W Ultra Xconnect PSU
1 Gig Kingston PC3200
BFG 7800GTX

So... If I try to run the memory dual channel, it will freeze before windows even loads... then when I restart it, it will automatically restart it before windows loads. I turned off Auto restart on system error, and now it comes up with a blue screen stating that the BIOS does not support ACPI. So I go into the BIOS and disable ACPI. Now, it doesn't bring up the blue screen, but just restarts automatically again.

Now, I can fix this for ONE boot. By popping out the CMOS battery, waiting a few mins, pop it back in, it will get into windows. It shows that it works too, for a while, as benchmark software shows a good 20-30 fps higher than when I run in single channel mode (which works fine). But it will lock up, I'll restart, and it will begin anew with automatically restarting.

I've put both sticks by themselves in, and nothing has seemed wrong. I'm going to try flashing the newest BIOS soon...

Any ideas?
Thanks!

·
Registered
448 Posts
I recently gave an old Pentium III pc to a friend but before I did I took out the case fan and a good antec power supply and replaced it with a cheap one because hey, I was giving it to him free and all he wanted to do with it is surf the web.

The pc always ran real well when I had it but after I gave it to him without a case fan and a cheap power supply it began shutting down at random.

I put the antec power supply back in and the case fan too and it stopped doing the random shutdown thing.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
CRCACER said:
HOW CAN I TEST THE MEMORY ???
you download a program called memtest, it runs off a 1.44 fdd

·
Registered
676 Posts
both of you guys having problems need to do this:

download memtest86 (www.memtest86.com). easier to just download the floppy version

put only ONE memory stick in there
test it out by turning on computer and see if it boots fine.
then, run memtest for 8 hours straight.

if it passes, test the other stick out.

if one stick passes the test with errors, then it could be bad. if both sticks doesnt pass, then it could be 2 things, 1. the bios needs to be setup with changes in memory timings, etc etc. 2. not likely, but, both sticks could be bad.

if both pass, then try running in dual channel mode.

if it passes, then fine.

if dual channel doesnt pass, then try running both sticks in NON- dual channel mode.

if both sticks passed the test fine by itself, it should be fine in non dual channel mode.

if it doesnt, then it could be a matter of memory timings and settings in your BIOS.

not sure if all that made sense though.

also, couple of recommendations:

if you really want to run dual channel, then buy dual channel kits as they are more likely to run in DC mode than just mix and matching 2 sticks together.

if you have a DFI board:
MAKE SURE you go to http://www.dfi-street.com and post on their forums. they have 2 actual workers who get strictly paid to do customer support on the DFI boards, so you can get help straight from DFI. ALong with that, OCZ memory has an employee who goes to the boards, and I think even a couple more employees from other companies who surf the boards.

also, with DFI, with the PSU, everyone who works at DFI will tell you to get a 480W and native 24-pin connector (not the 20-pin to 24-pin converters that some people use) as a minimum.

timah, it seems that your memory will work fine, but just not in DC mode. you probably need to tweak the settings. go to www.dfi-street.com and they can help you tweak it and get it to work fine. DFI, it can depend on memory and all, and they will tell you which BIOS to get that will work best for you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.