Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a very long story, but I will try to shorten it to better serve any readers.

I built the PC myself.
It's a very similar build to my PC, but better specs.
I bought all the parts,
assembled them all together,
PC worked fine for a week.

First problem:
Computer shut off after using intensive games and/or applications.
PSU wattage too low.
FIxed with new PSU.

Actually, now that i think about it, I don't need to list all the problems, just the latest one.

Well, the PC had lately been acting rather suspiciously... that is, it was doing seemingly random things. I think it began when my brother reported his application windows would suddenly become inactive, when using them - so it would stop typing in that window because it would suddenly be inactive. After that, his download speed significantly decreased to about 20kb, and stayed there for anything he downloaded.

We ran some anti-virus, malware, spyware scans and cleaned the registry, which seemed to work, and all was fine.

One day after that, his PC became slow - we ran all software diagnostics once more, but found no problems. we left it for another day, and after it logged on, it froze up. That it, everything stopped responding and the keyboard wouldn't work. The only thing that would be working is the mouse, which was of no hep, but you couldn't click on anything and nothing would load up. We had to hold down the power button to turn it off.

My brother had already had everything backed up, so I suggested we should try a format, see how it goes. I formatted the HD, and it worked fine for the rest of the day. The next morning it froze again after logging on. But would then work fine for the rest of the day. It sounds very random, but we then noticed that IT ONLY freezes in the morning, and will then work for the rest of the day without any problems.

However, A couple days after it got slightly worse, it froze in the morning, and then again during they day, and night. I moved on to hardware tests, using UBCD. I ran memtest86+, which passed. the MAXTOR HD test, which passed both the quick test and full/long test. I then ran Prime/Stress Test. The screen went blank after 10 minutes. The PC would appear to be on, and even the monitor LED was green, not amber, but the screen would show nothing but a black screen. I've never seen Prime do that.

Anyway, I then had an actual look at the motherboard - there doesn't seem to be any signs of damage, leaking etc. The fans all spin, and everything is securely fitted into it's proper place. All parts are only about 4 months old - 6 months MAX. I don't have a spare motherboard or graphics card to test it any further... what should I do?

Sorry this post turned out to be so long.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the PSU in the PC is quite new and is 600W.

After the shut offs, the motherboard was also replaced by our vendor, so it's a new motherboard and PSU. Could it really be that? It was working fine for quite some time before this happened.

·
Administrator
123,523 Posts
a underpowered psu can take out a mobo and basically everything in a computer. you might of toasted your mobo.
I've edited your post as the purpose of our site is to help people, not to direct them to your business for you to make money. This constitutes spam/advertising and is against the forum rules. I've also deleted another post of this nature.

Should this trend continue, your account will be banned without further notice.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
I don't know if you said what you did when the system froze. Do you reboot? Sometimes a freeze can be as simple as a bad or poor keyboard and at other times it can prove to be more complex and costly. Have you gone into your View Log files to see if the OS itself is registering a problem when these things happen?
I see your posting 4 Gigs or Ram but I guess I'm missing your OS - Is it Vista or XP?
Have you updated from Microsoft? Checked to make sure your hardware is compatible with the OS? Checked your temps on the machine? Let us know...Jazz

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi, Jazz, thanks for helping me out here.

I'll tell you everything I know about my brother's PC so far:
When the system freezing, it does it in steps:
1) current program stops responding.
2) Attempting to click on the start bar will then result in the start bar, and keyboard to freeze.
3) attempting to click on any icons will then result in all icons to freeze.
4) no right clicks are available.
5) everything except the mouse has completely locked up.
From there, all I can do is hold the power button, since the PC does not have a reset button.

The keyboard:Was bought from Play.com and is a logitech s510 wireless desktop keyboard and mouse kit. Is there a way to test these?

I haven't viewed any log files as of yet... can you tell me how to, and which specific files i am checking?

PC Info:
yup. 4 gigs of ram - 800mhz, but I manually put it down to 667mhz in case that was causing any problems.
Windows XP Home SP2 (sorry i forgot to mention)

All Microsoft updates are obtained as standard.

When i built the system, I endured all hardware was compatible with each other.

Haven't yet checked the temperatures, but the last time i checked, they were all OK, with all fans spinning nicely.

I don't know if you read all my first post, but I'll just say quickly that I also tested some of the hardware with UBCD - Results as follows:
MAXTOR HD test - Passed both short and full test.
Memtest 86+ - Pass
Prime - Fail - Screen blanked out after exactly 10 minutes.

IMPORTANT Update!
Since the Prime Test, I have taken out the Graphics Card. Windows loaded nice and fast. all programs installed without errors or hint of freezing up. Everything seems fine at the moment. But the main problem now is that he doesn't have a graphics card. Now, my Brother NEEDS Adobe Photoshop CS3, and most the other CS3 programs for his soon to come uni course. When I tried to install Photoshop, it froze up again. But I'm wondering if that's just because he doesn't have a graphics card right now.
Here's my question: Will photoshop install without a graphics card, or is it expected to freeze? or is this just the same problem continuing from before, even without the graphics card?

Sorry - another long, and complicated post.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
You can test your keyboard by removing it and putting a standard keyboard in it's place.
I am not sure I understand what you're saying about the memory sizes? WinXP doesn't usually support under 32 bit a 64 bit memory level? What are you saying when you say 667 mhz?
Got your update- If you've reinstalled Windows I'm assuming your mobo has a video port you're running off of? When you installed Windows did you do an update to the OS off of Microsoft? Let us know...Jazz

·
Registered
22,466 Posts
I am not quite sure of the question here. When you say can you install Photoshop without a video card do you mean using onboard video or no video at all because the latter would be impossible. If I understand you it sounds like you either have an inadequate psu or a bad video card.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jazz, In my experience, some motherboards will say they allow up to 800mhz, but will sometimes crash windows, I turned the memory clock rate down just to make sure the memory wasn't interfering with my testing - that's all ^^
Yes, I am currently using a Fresh installation of Windows XP Home edition SP2, with all Microsoft updates from the website. Since i took out the PCI-E graphics Card, I am currently using the Motherboard's on board video port.

Rich-M, I am currently using the motherboard's video port. But my recent question was about the results of the PC's latest issue. I tried to install Photoshop CS3, but the system once again froze up. The question was, should that behavior be expected, considering there is no graphics card, or is this a continence of my original problem?

To summarize a little bit:
original problem was that the PC was freezing in a stepping pattern (see my above post).
The original problem was 'fixed' by taking out the graphics card, which made the system faster, and much more stable.
After taking the card out, everything installed normally, and without any hassle.
... except Photoshop CS3, which froze the system once again, despite the graphics card being taken out, which i thought was the source of the problem.

Hope this makes things a little more clearer :)

·
Registered
22,466 Posts
I see no reason that Photoshop should freeze during an install either way with onboard or pci-x card.
You don't mention your ram, did you make sure the brand and model are compatible with your board. That is what most often causes freezes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the ram and the motherboard came as a bundle... i can only imagine they would be compatible with each other.

I can check them, but I'm afraid I can only check tomorrow now since it's too late, and I'd rather not wake my brother up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I assume you mean 8 tests for one pass?
Because I know it goes through a series of different patterns and tests.

I didn't run each stick alone - i ran them together.
Is that something i should try?

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/photoshop/systemreqs/ is saying you need 64 MBs of video ram? And 1044x768 resolution. Video card 16 bit. Is the motherboard chipset your running capable of this?
I am wondering if your not running 32 mb or less off the motherboard? This would definitely freeze up with the program your running. There are some pretty hefty graphics and video in the CS3 application due to the Flash options. Hopefully the video card is faulty and you can either swap it or get one that works. Jazz

·
Super Moderator
46,544 Posts
You need to list exact specs of the system in order to help you; ie make, model, and ver# [if applicable] of mb, brand and type of ram, brand and wattage of pw supply, etc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well... I took out the graphics card, as that was my suspicious through most of these tests.

The PC now works fine.

Can anyone suggest a good PCI-E Graphics Card good enough for CS3, that doesn't cost too much? My brother is a student and doesn't have much money.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hiya. thanks for the reply, but I'd prefer an English site. something like play.com.

Here's a link to their PCI-E cards.
http://www.play.com/Search.aspx?sea...hics+card&page=search&pa=search&go.x=0&go.y=0

One thing Im a little confused about is the difference between GS and GT, as far as I know, the GT cards have more pipelines. Another difference is the price between the two.

is it possible for someone to suggest a card from the link i gave at all?

Another question... If a card had a 64 bit interface, will it still work fine with 32 bit?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.