Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in this house we download a lot and we have a 20 Gb peak / 20 Gb off-peak account. Recently we ran out of downloads and got shaped so we bought a 12 Gig data block. Only two of our computers are currently working, one's mine and one's my dad's. Neither of us have downloaded anything, nor have we watched more than a couple of 5 minute you tube videos in the past two days since we got the block but already we're down to 8.5 Gigs.

Our network is wireless but secured with a WEP key, we live in the country too so it's unlikely that anyone could really be hacking or wardriving. Does anyone know what could account for the downloads?

Thanks,
Marlon,
ChildOfLore

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
1) Someone could be using your wifi.
2) The ISP is cheating you.
3) If you are totally positive you did not download
anything, it is possible someone forgot they
downloaded "stuff" or don't want it known that
they downloaded "stuff."

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot VistaRookie (awesome sig btw)
1)I still don't think anyone's using our wi-fi. It's WEP encrypted and I live in a small town, I can only pick up one other network and that's a really faint one from our neighbours. I doubt anyone around here can hack WEP, except one guy but he's debilitatingly ethical.
2)How could the ISP cheat me? Are you suggesting they're slowly lowering my downloads or something?
3) Yeah, but 4 Gb of "stuff" is a lot, and if my Dad was doing that he'd just say "yes, I am downloading" when asked but just not say what

This problem is problematic :S Thanks for your help,
Marlon
ChildOfLore

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They keep a log of my downloads?
Yeah, that's my next step, see if they have any ideas. I'm thinking it could be a program in the background or something but I don't have anything that I can't account for :S

Thanks,
Marlon

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
They keep a log of my downloads?
Yeah, that's my next step, see if they have any ideas. I'm thinking it could be a program in the background or something but I don't have anything that I can't account for :S

Thanks,
Marlon
All ISPs have logs. That is how they know whether or not you have
reached your limit. Whether they would give you the actual details
of all websites or not, I am not sure. But seems to me, they could
say you downloaded 5GB on Aug 1st. 3GB on Aug 10th., etc.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
My understanding was that there is a discrepancy between
what you can account for and what your ISP says?

If you both agree on the amount being downloaded, then I
didn't understand the question?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.