Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey MatrixX,
Make a new partition with partition magic....then once you have done that you will have to boot into dos and load WIN 98 on your new partition...just a quick question which might affect this...when you loaded WIN 2000 did you use NTFS or FAT 32? Aslo what version of Partition magic do u have?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey MatrixX

Wolfman is right....the Win98 partition needs to be FAT32....it will not work on an NTFS partition....Using partition magic you can create a new partition and then convert it from NTFS to FAT32....try that and tell me what happens, if you can't figure it out what i would do is create a new partition and format it in DOS.....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey MatrixX,
MY recommendation would just be to format the enitre hard drive in DOS...then do your partitions with FDISK....then put WIN 98 on it....then put 2000...that way you'll get a dual boot and everything will be nice and clean....it might save ALOT of headacke.....tell me what you think.......

Whoops!
Should be partition, format, then install OS....sorry about that, it has been a long day...

·
Registered
21,334 Posts
Partition first...reformat each partition. Install win2k first on C: then install 98 to D:....no boot manager for Win98 natively. That graphic was for resizing a partition.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
- So what you're saying is that there is no way I can keep my Win2K on right now huh? The head ache IS deleting everything, well actually backing everything up not the partition stuff.

- $Teve I still have to read your link and tell you what I think.

P.S. Nice system you got there :)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
$Steve, that link is useful if you want to start fresh, but i''m lazy and I want to ADD Win 98 to my computer which has Win2k already.

P.S. hippy_420 you work for a company that helps people if they pay them and here you are helping me for free. Thanks. (What would your boss think? :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey MatrixX ,
Ha Ha....well I do work for a company which has paying homebased customers but we also support small business specialized software....so home based user are a small portion of our business.....and my boss...well he ACTUALLY requested that we answer numerous forums in a day so that we keep fresh on our skills as well as see new problems.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Make the partition at the end of the drive and install Boot Magic, which comes with Partition Magic. It will allow you to boot from any partition, even if the OS doesn't support it by default.

Don't move your current partition - there is no need and it takes too long.

Of course, to make the new one, you will first have to shrink your current one. It is now 20, if you want 5 gig for 98, for instance, resize what you have to 15, then create a 5 gig FAT32 at the end of the drive. Install Boot Magic and it will show both partitions as being places to boot from - boot from the new one, then install 98 on it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I tried. The program reboots after i select apply changes and then it gives me the following error: xmnt 2000 program not found skipping autocheck
and it reboots back to win2k :mad:

could it be because i want the second parttion to be primary also instead of logical?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.