Tech Support Guy banner

Must be run in pure DOS Mode?

20945 Views 45 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  ~Candy~
I'm trying to use an exe for my HDD but it says it needs to be run in pure DOS Mode. Does that mean i need to create a boot disk? And if I do, can someone tell me how? I would rather make a USB Boot-Disk Floppy Drive is broken :(
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts
What EXE program? You can use DOSBox if it's just a simple DOS program.

DOSBox emulates an Intel x86 PC, complete with sound, graphics, mouse, joystick, modem, etc., necessary for running many old MS-DOS games that simply cannot be run on modern PCs and operating systems, such as Microsoft Windows XP, Windows Vista, Linux and FreeBSD.

http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Main_Page
If you really want to run it in pure DOS... please download UltimateBootCD and burn the ISO to CD.

boot from this disk to run AVIRA (NTFS4DOS)

1. press ENTER to boot ultimatebootcd
2. Filesystem Tools
3. NTFS Tools
4. Avira NTFS4DOS
5. (Private use?): Yes

from here you can run your EXE program.
No it's not a game it's an application for my HDD. If i use ultimatebootCD can i add the exe to it?
Can you be more specific as to "an application for my HDD"?
I dont need help with the application just with running it in dos mode. I would rather just make a bootable usb disk that i can simply put it on to.
DOS is an operating system. A boot disk is not an operating system, but it will contain various commands and components of one. Whether or not this type of environment will work with the application in question depends on that application's specific requirements. If it requires the full MS-DOS operating system, then a boot disk isn't likely to work.
hi there! sorry if I took so long, BTW what is your EXE file?

I made some ways for you to see and work with NTFS drives while in DOS or by booting with a DOS bootdisk or bootable CD.

Since you wanted to boot from USB, we'll try that one first.

1.) copy your EXE file to C:
2.) insert your USB stick
3.) download this file ntfs_h.exe (1.21MB) and install it.

Code:
Welcome window will show then click next

------------------------------------------------------------

Code:
When you reached this screen make sure it's your USB. Mine says drive G: then click format.

Code:
click start

Code:
click OK

Code:
Go back to floppy wizard, click Next

Code:
No supported bootable floppy disk detected, just click OK

Code:
Configuration, click Next

Code:
Additional Tools, click create floppy. (you're wondering now ...floppy? YES, just click it!)

Code:
and here's the contents of your NTFS4DOS USB stick.

4.) OK now from here reboot and set your First Boot Device to USB-ZIP, within your BIOS.
5.) after booting, choose NTFS4DOS hit ENTER, then ENTER again for the next screen.
6.) Type Yes from this prompt >> Do you want use NTFS4DOS Personal for private usage only? (Yes/NO):

7.) type c: then ENTER, and again from here you should be able to RUN your EXE file.

This is FreeDOS and I'm sure you're familiar with DOS commands, ...give it a try. ;)
See less See more
Well i did all that so now with all of those files on the usb drive I can just place my exe on it and when it boots i can use it?
Since no one knows what app you're using, only you can tell us if it works or not.
Well I restarted the computer and went into my boot menu and one of the options was to boot from the USB drive so i hit that and it wont boot from it. I have all of the files on it like im supposed to. I set my boot priority in my BIOS to the usb drive first.
DoubleHelix is right, we must know what your exe file is :)

Change first boot device to USB-ZIP
Well i did all that so now with all of those files on the usb drive I can just place my exe on it and when it boots i can use it?
the boot disk we created will just provide you DOS ENVIRONMENT. You must boot from USB since you do not have floppy.
can you boot from USB now?

make sure that the motherboard which you are working supports USB booting. The proper selection to do this varies depending on your bios version, it might have USB-ZIP or USB-FDD or something close there.
if it boots successfully from USB, YES!
It's not successfully booting from USB. Maybe it would be easier just to make a bootable CD like an ISO image for it and just add the exe to that?
if your having trouble booting USB, you can follow my post #3

you don't have to copy your exe file to cd.
copy it to your drive C even if it is a NTFS drive NTFS4DOS can read from it
here are some screenshots :)

See less See more
I'm looking for a DOS program for a demo, but I only have this...

See less See more
This doesnt work. I did everything exactly and then restarted computer with usb in and hit F10 for boot menu then selected it to boot from the usb stick with the files and everything done right on it and it just boots normally. I unplugged my HDD and did it and it just said Insert bootable device. I have made a boot disk before with a CD using an ISO and it worked but it was sort of like a package and it came with a Click-To-Make-ISO.bat file with it. So i think i want to make a bootable CD instead of a USB. Any ideas on that?
1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.