Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought an external hard drive to store my music on. I have a collection of over 500 vinyl records. How do I transfer files from Windows MediaPlayer to the external hadr drive??

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
Open your music folders, select the files, drag them with a right mouse click to the external drive folder. Release the button and choose either Copy or Move.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I tried dragging the files like you said, but it didn't work. I then was able to move the file using the Audio Converter feature of WMP. The problem there is that does not transfer all the info, and I have to manually re-enter all the song titles. All in all this is turning out to be WAY more hassle that it's worth.

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
If you have a large music collection you'd be better off using MediaMonkey than WMP. Move the files over to the external hard drive (or maybe you should copy them so you have a backup), then drag-and-drop them into MediaMonkey.

If the music files are Mp3's and properly tagged you shouldn't have to re-enter any data.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your reply, but it's become clear to me that I'm in WAY over my head on this, and in all likelyhood I am going to return the external hard drive and simply listen to my music the old fashioned way. Moving my music on an external hard drive shouldn't be any more difficult that copying a photograph to a cd, which is something I've done often. Apparently the makers of my external hard drive have yet to understand that there is money to be made by making their product accessible to normal users like me.

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
I would still keep the drive to backup your files, hard drives have been known to fail.

As you say copying the files is the easy part. I think the problems you're having are with WMP.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually I did try using WinAmp and Songbird, and had the same problem, so I don't really WMP is the problem. The problems are, first, when I plug in the ext. hard drive any music files on it are automatcally dumped on to the my internal hard drive; and two when I transfer files the song titles do not transfer meaning I'll have go through the hassle of re-entering them. I'm sure there's an easier way, but only if the user already has a computer science degree.

·
Banned
24,388 Posts
There's no magic involved with an external hard drive. It's just the same as your internal hard drive. You get files on it by copying files there using Windows Explorer. It sounds like you're complicating the issue by trying to copy some type of media library which is a completely separate process.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So now I'm supposed to Windows Explorer? Isn't that what I use to go on the Internet? I don't use Windows Explorer to copy files to a cd or a flashdrive. I honestly have absolutely no idea how to do what to you is something very simple. Therein lies my problem. So how do I copy these files to the external hard drive using Windows Explorer??

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
Copying files, no matter what kind, is as simple as dragging and dropping in Windows Explorer. There is no need for anything else, and you do not need to use WMP or any other program to do it. It is the same process as just copying to another folder, which is what it actually is, anyway.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Evandil. Ok I plugged in the Ext. hard drive, opened it with Windows Explorer. Then I went to WMP highlighted a file, right clicked, dragged it to Windows Explorer, and dropped it. Nothing happened, the file did NOT appear in Windows Explorer. You say I don't need to use WMP, then what do I use? WMP is where the file is.

·
Banned
24,388 Posts
You don't use Windows Media Player. You open two Windows Explorer windows (you're confusing Windows Explorer with Internet Explorer, the web browser). One window is opened to folder where your music is stored. The other is opened to the external hard drive. Once you have the two windows open, you drag and drop files from one window to the other.

The files are not in Windows Media Player. WMP is only used to display them in a certain manner and play them. The actual music files themselves are stored in a folder on your hard drive in some location like C:\Documents and Settings\strobes\My Music\.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks very much for your efforts to help me with this. The reason I was hoping to drag file directly from WMP is because that's where they're organized. I have been able to transfer the file from My Music to the ext. hard drive. The problem with that is that any music I've recorded from vinyl records are not labeled in My Music like they are in WMP. Why don't the files appear in My Music like they do in WMP? It seems to mw that when I type in song titles in WMP they should be transfered straight to My Music as I typed them in.

When I record a vinyl record (I use Magix), I have to export it to WMP, and then type in all the song titles. Naturally, I assumed that my typed-in song titles would show up, and be indentified as such on my internal hard drive. The music I've recorded myself appears as a mess of unidentified songs in My Music, (something like bonnie raitt 01, etc) rather that the actual song title I typed in on WMP. Going through and re-typing ALL those song titles is way more work than it's worth. And since the titles already exist on my computer (on WMP) then logic dictates that I should be able to transfer those existing titles to my external hard drive. (But then again what does logic have to do with computers, right?)

So unless I can come up with a way to transfer my already indentfied songs to the external hard drive, I'm simply not going to do this. From what you've explained I now believe that I'll have to literally go back to the beginning and re-record all my records, and re-type in all the song titles in order to properly organize my vinyl collection on my ext. hard drive. And that is just ludicrous!

·
Registered
8,450 Posts
All the info regarding your songs is contained in the individual file. Therefore, when you move or copy a file, all the info is intact.
If I follow this correctly, you seem to think Windows Explorer should display the info exactly as WMP does, and that's not the case.
However:
You can change the info displayed in Explorer by changing to Details view and right-clicking the column heading to add additional info such as Artist, Album Title, Year,etc.
The actual transfer is very simple:
Open My Music
Edit
Select All
Cut
Open the External Drive
Create a Folder, such as Music II or something
Open the Folder, select Edit/Paste and sit back until it's done.
Now, add this folder to the folders monitored by WMP:
Tools/Options/Library/Monitor Folders
I, personally wouldn't do this at all, preferring to keep my music om my principal hard drive and using the external for a backup, but I assume you have your reasons.

Billions of people have done this successfully, and you can, too.

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
Zillions sounds about right.

Copying files is, after all, one of the most very basic of computer skills, easily accomplished by any lively 2nd-grader. Even someone being introduced to a new OS for the first time could figure out how to copy files in less than a minute.

·
Registered
8,450 Posts
Zillions sounds about right.

Copying files is, after all, one of the most very basic of computer skills, easily accomplished by any lively 2nd-grader. Even someone being introduced to a new OS for the first time could figure out how to copy files in less than a minute.
This could actually be a new topic.
You might be right about the 2d Graders, but the few young people I have dealt with tend to be hopelessly inept. Of course, I'm only dealing with people who have problems, so this is a not a good sample.
I'm 65, and my friends tend to be in the same age bracket, and, trust me, they can't copy files. The very concept confuses and frightens them into quivering masses of jelly. In truth, anything to do with Windows Explorer is completely beyond them, and I have often felt like a failure for being unable to get this knowledge into their brains.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
When it comes to teaching people about computers, I've found that there is no substitute for leaving them alone. Setting up a machine with Returnil Virtual System or something like Deep Freeze and letting them go at it, on their own, knowing that there is absolutely nothing they can do to hurt anything, and that all they need do is reboot to get things back to normal (and erase all their mistakes so no one will ever know), is such a relief that they then experiment and learn what they can and can't do.

No suggestions for specifics, but fear is the chief enemy in this picture. Sometimes it's fear of looking stupid in front of others, too. Or of getting yelled at or criticized. They need to be alone and try things.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If all the info is intact, why doesn't appear when I copy the file? If it's intact then it must be stored somwhere else, and I lack the computer expertise to go looking for it.

I freely admit that I'm naive when it comes to computers, hence my reasonalbe assumption that copying music files would be about as easy as copying text files.

Furthermore, if I do try your latest advice, and it actually works, I'd still have the problem of having all my music files dumped on to my computer every time I plugged in the ext. hard drive and opened WMP.

As for why I wanted to store my music on an external hard drive. Well, I have about 570 vinyl albums, which would take up A LOT of space on my hard drive. I, naturally, assumed that it would be best not to clug up my computer with all that music. My vinyl collection adds up to about 400 hours of music. That's a lot of gigabytes!!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.