Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a network set up between two Dell XP computers. it is not wireless. i got everything to work including file sharing, internet, and printer sharing. But when i want to play a multiplayer game i get no options to join a game. it is like it is being blocked, but i've disabled both windows and McAfee firewalls. I have tried multiple games so it is not that. i know it is not the router, for at one time i had no router just a straight wire connection.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I ran into that problem also when I had software firewall installed on my system. I just couldn't get the games to connect on my LAN, so I figured I'd try to uninstall the firewall program and it worked. Some reason even tho I disabled the firewall program it still wasn't opening my ports. I had turned off the built-in Windows firewall also. I just have my hardware router acting as my firewall now, but I have no probs playing games now..

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
57 Posts
You need to check your network setup.
Go to your Network Connections window (through Control Panel or right clicking a connection indicator in you task tray).
Go to the properties of your LAN Connection, near the center of the new window that pops up, you'll see a list.
Be sure your TCP/IP protocols are enabled, simply highlight Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click the [Install] button below the list box.
New Window has 3 options, click Protocol, then [Add] button near the bottom.
Add all the protocols that are in that list that pops up. That should cover any LAN gameplay fairly well, unless you run into that "Designated Port" garbage, but that's easy to remedy too.

You may have to do this on all your listed Connections your computer has, such as LAN and Internet connections. It just depends how your network is setup.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.