Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have a peculiar problem whereby when I launch Outlook (I am running Win XP) I notice that "Adobe PDF" is repeated thirty times as a menu item. Most when clicked, are blank but there is of course a working item. Not sure what the cure is. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Sam

·
Retired Moderator
14,171 Posts
Hi capguy

Welcome to Tech Support Guy Forums!

Menu item or Toolbars? If a menu item under which command is it located?

What version of Outlook are you using?

With Outlook closed:
Start > Run
Browse to the outlook.exe file
*Usually* located at this path (version 2002)
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\Outlook.exe."

You will need to verify this is the path for outlook.exe
After the path add a space and key in: /CleanViews

See if the Toolbars go away.
If not close Outlook and try running the command again using this command-line switch:
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\Outlook.exe." /safe

OL2002: Additional Command-Line Switches

Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi EAFiedler,

Thanks very much for your reply. It is a menu item. However using your "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\Outlook.exe." /safe command line switch makes it go away! Only problem is that I am not sure how to launch Outlook (2000 9.0) that way without having to enter that line. Why is it apperaing so many times and why is it not possible to simply launch Outlook without the long command line?

Many thanks, you are indeed distinguished :)

capguy

·
Retired Moderator
14,171 Posts
capguy said:
why is it not possible to simply launch Outlook without the long command line?
Is Outlook no longer opening from the shortcut or do you mean without the multiple Adobe PDF menu items appearing?

Are you actually using that exact command line I posted?
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\Outlook.exe." /safe

With Outlook 2000, I would think the command line should be:
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Outlook.exe" /safe

Unless you installed Office/Outlook into a different directory. What directory is Outlook.exe installed in?
Interesting results if the first command is being used and Outlook is opening while located in a different directory. :confused:

This link has command-line switches for Outlook 2000.
How to use additional command-line switches that are not included in Outlook 2000

You can try each one of those command-line switches to start Outlook 2000 to see if you get a result that will stick.

Otherwise, your current Profile may be damaged.
Try creating a new Profile, with Outlook closed:
Control Panel > Mail Icon > Show Profiles > Add
Set Outlook to start with the New Profile.

Start Outlook 2000 normally by using the shortcut.
See if the multiple menu items for Adobe PDF are gone, if so you can open your Personal Folders into the new Profile:
File > Open > Personal Folders
or
File > Open Special Folder > Personal Folders

If everything appears as you want it, you can then Remove the old Profile, with Outlook 2000 closed:
Control Panel > Mail Icon > Show Profiles
Highlight the old Profile select Remove

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,

No, I mean the multiple Adobe PDF menu items are appearing. This does not happen when I use your .../Safe command line as a way to open Outlook. I did review the info. in the link to command lines that you included but, unless I missed something, there does not seem to be a way to launch a command line session through a shortcut, is there? At present if I click on the Outlook icon, bingo, 37 copies of "Adobe PDF" on the menu and growing (more keep getting added). As for your instructions for creating a new profile, even though I am logged in as a system admin, I cannot see the "show profiles" option. After clicking on the mail icon all I get is the standard "Internet Accounts" dialog box with the usual list of options (add, remove, import, export, etc). Also, while I'm at it, is there a way to separate address books? My wife uses Outlook Express and me Outlook.

Many thanks...

·
Retired Moderator
14,171 Posts
Can you post a picture of what you see when clicking on the Mail Icon?
You *should* have the option to add more Profiles... :confused:

For the Address books, is Outlook Express sharing its contacts with Outlook 2000?
If she adds a contact to the Outlook Express Address book are you seeing it in Outlook 2000 and vice versa?

Open the Address Book in Outlook Express and look under the Tools menu to see if there is a Share or Sharing option listed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi EA,

You are right on with the address book. The shared option was checked! Knowledge is power indeed! I never thought of checking there. Thanks!!! :up:

As for the other issue, I am enclosing a screen capture as you requested. I am also including a capture of the annoying multiple menu item problem.

Many thanks...

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
14,171 Posts
Looking at your attachment it appears Outlook 2000 is running in Internet Mail only,
so the option to create a new Profile is not available to you. :(

Have you tried the Customize option for the Menu bar?
Right click on the Menu bar > Customize
On the Toolbars tab, highlight the Menu Bar and click Reset, hopefully, this will remove all the PDF menu listings.
Close and restart Outlook 2000 to see if the multiple PDF menu listings reappear.

Do you and your wife have your own Windows User Accounts?
If so, logon to her User Account and start Outlook 2000 normally, see if the PDF menu bars repeat in that Profile.

If you do not have your own User Accounts, try creating a new Windows User Account (Administrator), logon to the new User Account and start Outlook 2000 normally, hopefully, Outlook 2000 will create a new Profile for the new User Account.
See if the multiple PDF menu bars are present in the new Profile.

If none of the above steps resolves the multiple PDF menu bars, I would suggest uninstalling and reinstalling Adobe Acrobat to see if that clears out the extra PDF menu items.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Might be worth deleting the outcmd.dat file, which stores changes to toolbar buttons.

To do this, close Outlook and search your computer for outcmd.dat. You can delete it - if there are more than one delete them all - (or do what I did and rename it outcmd.old, just to be safe). When you start Outlook again it will recreate the file. I've had to do this a few times to sort out multiple toolbar items.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks VERY much to both of you EAFiedler and Surreal2.

That's what I call teamwork! Seems when I deleted the outcmd.dat file and restarted Outlook, bang...only one PDF menu item! Problem solved!! Lets hope that we don't begin to see the "rabbit" multiplying effect again! :D

**Oh, oh. As I finished typing this , I decided to restart Outlook. I now see two copies where there was only one before I left earlier today. Before we know it, I'll have thirty copies. :confused:

I think I'll try EAF's workaround to see if that is a permanent solution. I'll start with uninstalling adobe.

Thanks

·
Registered
579 Posts
capguy said:
Thanks VERY much to both of you EAFiedler and Surreal2.

That's what I call teamwork! Seems when I deleted the outcmd.dat file and restarted Outlook, bang...only one PDF menu item! Problem solved!! Lets hope that we don't begin to see the "rabbit" multiplying effect again! :D

**Oh, oh. As I finished typing this , I decided to restart Outlook. I now see two copies where there was only one before I left earlier today. Before we know it, I'll have thirty copies. :confused:

I think I'll try EAF's workaround to see if that is a permanent solution. I'll start with uninstalling adobe.

Thanks
Eek...I've never had the problem of multiple entries recurring so soon after deleting outcmd. And EAFielder is much more experienced than I am so I hope his advice works for you. I do know that it is a REAL pain when the multiple entries appear.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi guys,

similar problem over here with additional, multiple menu entries in outlook 2000.

The problem in detail:

Step 1: I delete "outcmd.dat", "extend.dat" and "FRMCACHE.DAT".

Step 2: I start outlook -> everything is normal.

Step 3: I open any folder from the folder list -> a second "Adobe PDF" (from Acrobat 7.0) menu appears on the left side.

Step 4: I close outlook -> outlook crashes.

Step 5: I start outlook again -> 2 "Adobe PDF" menu items appear on the right side.

Repeating steps 3 - 5 add additional "Adobe PDF" menues.

Closing outlook without opening any folder before does not add any menu entry. In this case, outlook closes without crash.

Hope, anyone can help me...

Best regards,
mmatzing

·
Registered
579 Posts
Hi Mmatzing...what OS do you have?

I have Win98se on my pc with Outlook 2000...I don't use Acrobat 7...after checking the various later versions of my original Acrobat I ended up with V5 since this was the latest version that didn't give me problems.

I don't have any Acrobat menus on my Outlook...so maybe this is a problem related to the way V7 works with 2000. When you installed Acrobat, did it give you any options to add menus or otherwise link to Outlook? Does Acrobat have a Preferences/Options or somesuch item that allows you to adjust any links with other programs?

Not much help to you I'm afraid..I'd hate to suggest ditching V7 in favour of V5 - perhaps another Forum member will be able to help.

Good luck.

PS...one of the 'repair' instructions I saw referred to a file named 'views.dat' as well as 'outcmd.dat'. Might be worth checking to see if you have views.dat and if so renaming it to views.old to see what happens (if it causes problems you can name the file back, and at worst do a 'detect and repair' on Outlook). I'd stress that this is just a suggestion...I haven't done it because when I searched my pc I didn't have a file named views.dat, so I don't know from personal experience whether this will help or not.

·
Retired Moderator
14,171 Posts
Changing the following Registry value removes the Adobe PDF tool bar and menu item from Outlook:

[webquote=http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2002sp3.htm#problems]
http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2002sp3.htm#acrobat

With Outlook closed:
To prevent the Acrobat PDFMaker COM Addin from loading, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\PDFMOutlook.PDFMOutlook
and change the LoadBehavior value from 3 to 2.
Restart Outlook.
The PDF functions will still be available in Word and the other Office programs.
Note that installing Acrobat updates may reset the registry key.[/webquote]

Let us know if that works for you or not.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Surreal2 and EAFiedler,

Surreal2, my OS is WinXP SP2 and I also have no views.dat.

Removing the Outlook integration of Acrobat 7 works as described by EAFiedler.

For a final solution, I still want to get Outlook 2000 running with integrated Adobe Acrobat 7. Any additional idea for that?

Best regards,
Manfred

·
Retired Moderator
14,171 Posts
Hi mmatzing

If you have not rebooted since changing the Registry, do that.

Then with Outlook closed change the Registry value back to 3.

Reboot and start Outlook to see if the Adobe PDF menus behave themselves.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.