Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed Windows XP and now I am unable to use MSN Messenger 6 or above. And I have to use Windows Messenger. When i used Windows 98, it worked fine , but now it doesn't work on XP. Why?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Disable/Remove Windows Messenger
Copyright 2002 - Doug Knox

Note: If you choose to uninstall Windows Messenger on a system with SP1 installed, you will receive an error message about "un-registering" an OCX file. This is normal, and doest not affect the removal process. Windows Messenger will still be removed.

This utility will allow you to disable Windows Messenger on per-user basis, or on a machine wide basis. Download the ZIP file and extract MessengerDisable.exe to your hard drive. You can either double click the EXE file, or create a shortcut to it, as you prefer. You can, optionally, use this utility to remove Windows Messenger from your machine. You may need Administrator level privileges to run this program.

To reinstall Windows Messenger for Windows XP, visit http://www.microsoft.com/windows/messenger and download the latest version.

Download MessengerDisable here

·
Registered
438 Posts
Hi ... I had the same problems when i reformat my windows xp pro version ...what i did was i updated 4.6 messenger to 4.7 then afterward i when to the run command and enter this

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

which it will remove 4.7 messenger off your computer ... also after rebooting it will ask you if you want to remove everything to do with 4.7 say yes .... Once that is done download msn messenger 6.1 .... Then you shouldn't have anymore problems once 4.7 is removed

Here is where 6.1 is >> http://messenger.msn.com/

·
Registered
438 Posts
Hi ... Let me ask you is your windows xp an upgrade version ??? Also when you delete any type of a program , how do you delete them ??? Do you go into the add/remove program to delete programs and do you also delete the folder in the explore as well ???

·
Registered
438 Posts
Hi ... Well how about you enable your msn back ... I am assuming you mean 4.7 messenger and if so when you enable it back try doing this >>> go to start >>> run >>> and copy this >>>

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

then paste it in the run command ............................

This will remove anything to do with 4.7 .... Reboot your computer and answer yes when it will ask you whether if you want to remove everything for 4.7 ... Then once its off ... download 6.1 clean again

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.