Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work for a small company (3 computers). An employee recently left and removed office from all 3 computers. I need to purchase and install office for all 3 computers. I cannot find if there is a multi-license version, or if I have to purchase 3 separate copies. At $400 each that would be way too much.

Someone told me that if you don't use it on more than 5 computers that is legal. I don't want to do anything shady, and I also don't want to go out and buy this and then find out it is wrong.

Can someone please help with good advice.

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
And just to clear up the misconception you have been given, in the previous editions (I don't know about 2007) the student version was allowed to be on more than one PC at a time, but you had to buy it as a student and for student purposes (I guess the idea was to have it on your laptop and a tower...) - as a business, you would never have qualified.
On the other hand, 2 questions come to my mind.
1) Why was that employee allowed to do that? And, if it was an act of sabotage against the company, you should charge him/her with theft and/or vandalism.
2) Open Office is essentially as good as MS Office (oh, there are some weaknesses, but it is constantly being improved. To me, the main one is that there is no usage of VBA - at least for now, although I have heard rumors of future... :)

·
Banned
24,388 Posts
Volume licensing usually doesn't yield discounts at the 5-user mark. You can read about volume licensing at Microsoft's website. They even have a "Build a quote" utility that allows you to see exactly what licensing would cost. I ran through it for Office 2007 Small Business Edition, and 5 licenses come to over $2,000.

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/

You might want to seriously consider legal action against the former employee. But also, if your company lost both the installation disks and the receipts for the purchases you made, I would highly suggest better filing and bookkeeping practices. This is a very expensive lesson in business ownership.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
I just clicked on the link I provided:

"To help optimize how your Web pages are displayed, we are checking to see if a 2007 Microsoft Office program is installed."

What does office '07 have to do with web pages in browsers?

MS pretending Firefox doesn't exist?

·
Banned
24,388 Posts
Something's wrong with your computer, RootbeaR. The link works just fine on multiple computers with multiple browsers.

You can clearly see the link is just to a simple site within Microsoft's home page.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
My daughter recently brought Office 2007 and it is standard here for it to be licensed for three computers/laptops. I wrote to Microsoft asking if I did not make an image and I had to reformat one of the computers, could I reinstall the program on there or would I loose one of the licences they wrote back saying if I reformatted that there is no trace of the program on the hard drive their for I can use it again even though I had loaded it on two desk tops and a laptop - in other words used the three versions.

This was good to know as if you pay out money for a program you want to know you can continue to use it for as long as you want.

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
My daughter recently brought Office 2007 and it is standard here for it to be licensed for three computers/laptops.
Yes, but, as I had mentioned for the previous versions, the only one with that license is Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007 - not for businesses.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Most Microsoft Office Product Use Rights allow for the use of Office on one desktop and one portable device to be used by the same person. Usually anything else is violating the terms.

The best way to view the specific rights for the product you are looking for is to go to this site:http://www.microsoftvolumelicensing.com/userights/Default.aspx

In the drop down box select the version of Office that you have. Then click the arrow to the right of the drop down box. Do not click any of the buttons below the drop down box.

In the section labeled Product Use Rights select the "Standard Terms for Office ...." link.

The first section will state your Installation and Use Rights. It will look like this:
I) Installation and Use Rights.

1. Licensed Device. Before you use the software under a license, you must assign that license to one device (physical hardware system). That device is the "licensed device." A hardware partition or blade is considered to be a separate device.

• You may install and use any number of copies of the software and of any prior version of the software on the licensed device.
    • Except as described in the Remote Access section below, only one user may use the copies on the licensed device at a time.
    • You may reassign a license, but not on a short-term basis (i.e., not within 90 days of the last assignment). If you reassign a license, the device to which you reassign the license becomes the new licensed device for that license.
  2. Portable Device. You may install a copy on a portable device for use by the single primary user of the licensed device.
  3. Network Device. You may also install additional copies on a network device. You may only use those copies as described in the Remote Access section below.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.