Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a large spreadsheet workbook in MS Excell '97. I would like to have a rolodex type add-in so that I could click a letter at the top of the page and it would automatically scroll to the start of the names beginning with that letter. I have seen thing like this on some on-line data bases and have heard that something like this is available for Excell.
I am using Windows 98.
Thanks for help and suggestions.

Bob
rbarckle
[email protected]

·
Registered
11,755 Posts
R: I'm sure there would be a VBA solution to this, however, I don't like to use that unless I have to.

So here's a nice idea, assuming your last names are in column A (change the cell reference accordingly):

Only headings should be in Row 1, data should begin in Row 2 and no blank rows or columns in the middle of your data.

Insert a column before column A. Give it the heading "Alpha" or something like that. In cell A2, type:

=left(b2,1)

This formula will give you the first letter in the last name (provided last names are in column b), even if you change the last name. Copy the formula down. Click on any cell in Column a, and hit the AZ(down arrow) button on the toolbar.

Go to Data-Autofilter. This puts dropdown arrows at the top of all columns. Hit the dropdown arrow in column a, and select the letter you'd like to go to. You can turn the autofilter off and on whenever you want. You can leave the filter on if you want.

------------------
~dreamboat~
Brainbench MVP for Microsoft Word
Brainbench

·
Registered
51,023 Posts
The other thing to consider is using Access. I find that people tend to use Excel because most people know how to use and then use it for all their computing needs even when Access would be a much more efficient tool. Try exporting the Spreadsheet to Access and playing around with it there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.