Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would really like to know how to use an mp3 player as an external hard drive. I have a 16GB hard drive and a 30GB mp3 player. It says u can use the creative jukebox zen xtra as an external hard drive but whenever its plugged in and i try to save or download a file to it it doesnt show up under my computer.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
G'day mdc017, there are a couple of considerations needed, the currently installed operating system needs to have the specific drivers loaded to support USB items, I suspect we are talking USB-2 here, with W-xp this equates to SP-1 or later and with other windows programs it need checking.
If everything is working properly whenever you plug the USB device into a hot system it should show as something detected and stuff for it loaded or appear as an item in the tray near the clock. (for windows) With a removeable drive icon showing in my computer. This should perform similarly to an oversize floppy.
Control + dragging and dropping is probably the easiest way to put stuff on your flashdrivé. MP3 player type machines usually work excellently.
If you install a bootable program to the flashdrive you will need to have a motherboard suitable and configged to boot from removeable devices with the USB boot enabled in BIOS.
This works well with o/s programs like "puppy linux".
Cheers, qldit.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.