Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several months back, I installed Windows 2000 on my wife's drive E. It has become problematic because of the way I have my network set up and I am now wishing I had put it on drive C.

Is there a way to move the WINNT and Program Files folders from E to C and maybe edit BOOT.INI without having to just reinstall everything?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Move EVERYTHING onto the C:\ drive, and change boot.ini to look somthing like this:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

Make sure you have thise settings correct for your system:
multi(0)
disk(0)
rdisk(0)
partition(1)

The BOOT.INI file I copied onto here is Master on the primary channel and the 1st partition, you may need to change it.

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got "Windows cannot log you on because the profile cannot be located....."

I'll undo what I just did and I'll try moving Documents and Settings while Windows is running and see what happens.

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Documents and Settings cannot be moved, copied or deleted.

I think I'll just load WINNT fresh onto C and leave the old WINNT folder on drive E for now. I can then later edit BOOT.INI to run either C:\WINNT or E:\WINNT. At least I can swap my wife back to E periodically until I get the C copy fully up running.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
There are utilities that attempt to move an installation to a new drive letter, but I've never seen one that didn't create more problems than it solves. I think starting from scratch is the smart choice. :)

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I perused through Partition Magic's (version 8) menus and I could not find anything related to moving anything.

I started an installation of Win2k on drive C. Since the last one was on E, it gives me a boot menu to go to either C or E. At leas that way, I'll be able to keep my wife up and running until I finally finish the installation on C. I just don't have time to do it all at once.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.