Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been working to get my system working better. I have installed a new 80GB hard drive as my master and have partitioned it with just Windows ME on the C: drive. I want to move my swapfile to my 200GB drive and have a partition set up for it at the front of the drive. I don't know how to move the swapfile to this drive. The 200GB is attached to an Ultra ATA/133 PCI Card by itself. the 80GB is attached to the motherboard directly.

After getting the 200GB attached to the PCI card, the resource meter was "very happy" with resources operating very well. Since I reinstalled my Quicken program, the resources are once again dropping dangerously low when I am in that program with no other programs running but Norton Internet Security. If I try to go online at the same time I am operating Quicken, my computer is in serious trouble. (I also just installed additional memory so I have a total of 383MB of memory.)

Do you think there might be a problem with the Quicken software - it is the new Quicken 2004 Deluxe. Should I try to remove and reinstall it or would that make any difference.

I also have cleaned out my start menu and also unchecked the Quicken in the start menu after I loaded it.

Your help would be appreciated in helping me to move the swapfile.

·
Gone but never forgotten
8,684 Posts
You move the swapfile in Control Panel > System > Performance > Virtual Memory

But before worrying about that, with 383MBs installed, you most likely aren't using enough (if any) of the file to begin with.
To find out, run SYSMON and monitor Swapfile InUse while you run your typical programs. prob
You aren't trying to resolve your Resources problem by doing this are you? As it will have no affect.

Do you have the resources issue running Quicken when you are NOT online?
If not, then suspect Spyware and give SpyBot a run. (ensure you update the definitions first).

As well, do a full AV check.

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
If you are thinking about putting your swapfile on the first partition of the second HD, which in my opinion is a good idea, I would suggest about a 400 to 500MB partition.
Also consider a second partition of about the same size and put the folders for your cookies, recent, temp, and Temporary Internet Files (TIF) over there. This will keep your Windows partition much cleaner and you will only have to defrag once every few months. Virus scans will go much faster also with all the usual windows garbage off on its own partitions.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I should have explained what I have done so far trying to deal with the resource problem. I have been running Spybot and Adaware routinely so I am doing OK with that. I have also kept my virus definitions current and run my NAV on a regular basis as well.

I have only had the Quicken program loaded for about a week with the resource meter running. I have the serious decrease in resources even when I am running Quicken without being connected to the internet.

I wasn't sure if this resource problem would be addressed with moving the swapfile, but have been working on partitioning my new drives and setting up separate partitions for the swapfile, temp files, program files and data to improve the computers performance, etc. I had an article with different partitioning suggestions that I was directed to by a different post. It recommended the swapfile partition but didn't tell me how to move the file.

So, I will get the swapfile moved with your advise and I will also run the sysmon for awhile and see what it tells me.

·
Registered
4,699 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Nighthawk. I do have TweakUI installed, but I took Whitphil's advise and went to virtual memory under system performance and made a change to my E: drive there. It seemed to move the folder OK.

I have been running the system monitor but it doesn't look like it is being used - nothing is showing up on the monitor.

But if it will keep my Windows ME partition operating "clean" I will be happy.

I will continue monitoring the resource meter while using my Quicken program for awhile and see what happens.

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
As pointed out, moving the swapfile will not have any impact on your resources, but by getting the swapfile, temp, TIF, Recent and other changeable files off of the C: partition it will help to keep it much cleaner. You may find yourself defragging the C: partition every other or even every 3 months. Keep the swapfile partition and the temp partitions as the first and second partitions of your second HD and they should still access fast.

Also if the first HD is 7200 rpm, then the second one should also be 7200 rpm. By using an older 5400 rpm drive what you gain by having the swap and temp files on a seperate HD will be offset by the slower speed. However, you will still have a cleaner system.

The same if you use seperate partitions for programs, data, and multimedia files.

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
As another thought, you could make a bootable floppy and include the following commands in a batch file. This batch file can either be called from the autoexec.bat or run as a seperate batch file.

1. C:
2. cd \ (This will insure that you are at the C:\> prompt
3. DELTREE /Y RECYCLED
4. SMARTDRV.EXE (This will make the deletions run faster)

5. X:
(where X is the letter of the partition with your swapfile)
6. delete win386.swp

7. Y:
(where Y is the partition with all your temp files and folders)

8. DELTREE /Y COOKIES
9. DELTREE /Y HISTORY
10. DELTREE /Y RECENT
11. DELTREE /Y TEMP
12. DELTREE /Y TEMPOR~1

Modify the above as necessary to fit your drive lettering and what files/folders you have where. The blank lines and numbers should be taken out, there are only there now to make it read easier.

Windows will automaticly re-create the deleted folders when it boots up.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is the purpose of this diskette to clean out these folders all in one step as a maintenance option?

I am not sure how to create this bootable disk and do the other steps you indicated. Could you give me step-by-step instructions on how to do this?

(I currently have my temporary folders on the same hard drive as my operating system but in a separate partition. Is this alright or should I move it to the second hard drive?)

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
Putting the swapfile in the first partition on the second HD and all the temp and other changeable files/folders in the second partition on the second HD will give you a slight performance edge, but just getting them out of the same partition as your OS will go a long way in keeping things cleaner from a defrag standpoint.

Yes, the diskette is meant as a maintenance routine that can be done in either one or two steps.

First a word about the deltree command. Deltree is a very powerful command and should be used with caution. That is to say, know exactly where you are on your HD before using it. The reason is that deltree (delete tree) will delete the folder specified and ALL files and folders under it. As an example, both the Temp and Temporary Internet Files folders contain both files and subfolders (which contain more files). By using deltree it deletes the Temporary Internet Files folder and all files AND Content.IE5 AND all the random named folders under it. Since it's done at the DOS level, it also deletes the index.dat file that you hear people say they can't get rid of.

The base Deltree command will ask for conformation before deleting. The famous Windows "Are you sure you want to delete XYZ?" By using the /y switch it automaticly answers yes to the question and proceeds with the deletion, finishes and goes on to the next comand and so on. This makes sense if you are trying to automate the process.

As to how to make a bootable floppy, you can either make one from windows, (I have never had ME so I can't tell you exactly where the command is, but it should be in Programs > Accessories > System Tools or whatever the equivalent is for ME) or you can just format a floppy by going to My Computer then tight click on the floppy drive and select format. Then check the box that says "Copy System Files", click OK and start the format. This will make the diskette bootable.

To test the floppy, power down your PC, insert the floppy and power up. It should boot into DOS and you see an A:\> and nothing more. Remove the floppy and reboot to get back into windows.

How well do you know your way around in DOS? Just basic navigation from one drive to another or one folder (directory) to another?

Now to create the batch file. Cut and paste all the commands that I gave you above into a text file using NotePad. Now you have to decide which of the commands you want to use. Do you want to blast all those folders or do you want to keep Cookies or Recent or History? Once you know what stays and what you want to delete, edit the file accordingly. Also edit out all the step numbers and my comments. For "first run test perposes" I would suggest that you edit out the /y. Once you determine what lines you want to use and what drive letters you have to change to in order to get to the right place, save the file to something like "clean.bat" NOTE: here is a case where you DO use the quotes in the file name. Other wise NotePad will name it Clean.txt.

Once you have the file the way you want it, copy it over to the bootable floppy you made earlier.

To test, do the following:
Power down your PC, insert the floppy and power up.
You should get the black DOS screen with an A:\> prompt.
At this point the file SHOULD NOT have the /y switch in it.
Type in clean (or whatever you named it) and hit return.
You should see it change to the drive letter where your swapfile is and then dielete it. Next you should see it change to the drive letter where all your temporary folders are and start to process the first command. It will ask you for conformation. Answer NO. But this will give you a chance to verify the drive and path name is correct (or you will get an error that it can not find it). IF you get an error write it down so you can correct the file. Let it progress thru the command lines and answer NO to each one. This will give you a chance to check the path and check of any errors.

Edit as necessary and test again. Again, answer NO.
Once everything is correct you can run it again and answer YES.

I would suggest running it manually and answering YES the first few times until you have the feel of it. Once you know everything is the way you want it you can go back and edit the file and put the /y switch back in and it will be fully automated. Boot from floppy, type Clean, and go get a cup of coffee.

Depending on how you use your PC and your amount of internet activity, I would suggest running this once a month. Set up an interval that works best for you.

The whole idea of this is you don't defrag the partition with your swapfile and the partition with all of the Temp, Temporary Internet Files and all of the other constantly changing stuff, you blow them away and start fresh! Since these files and folders are no longer on the same partition as your OS that partition stays much cleaner and needs to be defragged less often.

Good luck

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you - I will take these steps and see how it goes. I guess I am moderately familiar with DOS - it has been a long time since I have done much with it, but your explanations seem very clear so I think I will be fine.

I wanted to be clear on what I am doing based on your explanation. As long as I get the path correct to the swapfile and temp partitions, I will be alright to use the deltree command? It must be safe to delete the swapfile periodically? What is included in the Recent folder?

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
Yes it's safe to delete any and all of the above including the swapfile. They will all be regenerated by Windows.

Recent is a list of shortcuts to files that you have recently used, edited, or viewed. I don't know of anybody that really uses the Recent folder. In my opinion it's just clutter.

The folders you mentioned are the biggest points of temporary and changable clutter. Cookies, depending on how many you accept and how you use them, could be added to the list. Cookies get into a gray area. Some people want to keep them and some want to get rid of as many as possible. Some cookies are helpful, such as the one here at TSG that allows you to "auto logon" without having to enter your user name and password each time.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay, thank you for your help. I am going to try your advise to simplify the clean-up in those temp files. It may be awhile before I can work on it so I will get back to you asap to let you know if it helps.

I am still having a problem with my system resources dropping when I use Quicken and/or the Internet. It sometimes goes into the yellow zone when I am running just one of these features with nothing else open. I have a clean startup and also have deleted a lot of the shortcuts on my desktop for programs I only use infrequently. I'm afraid I don't know what else to "tweak". I run Spybot and Adaware frequently as well as NAS on a weekly basis. I would appreciate any help you can give on why these resources drain so much. I have read a little about "leaks" is there a possibility this is my problem? And if so, how do I find out?
Right now my User is at 35% and GDI is at 77% - it went into the yellow zone I think about 29% when I opened my Outlook Express.

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
The so called "memory leak" applied to Windows 95.

Is Quicken the only application that causes a large drop in your resources? I don't have Quicken on my PC, but it could be that it is just a big resource hog in general. I wouldn't worry too much about being in the yellow zone unless you are there with only one thing open. I use 15 to 20% as the point to start being concerned.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I haven't noticed a significant drop with my other programs - I'll have to check with my son who uses Pinnacle Studio 8 to see if he sees a big drop. I have been in the yellow zone with just Quicken running.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have run into a problem when I was trying to create my bootable disk. In System Tools, there is no option to create a bootable disk. IF I try the right click option on the floppy drive, I do not get a box that says "Copy System Files" Please help me create this bootable disk.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.