Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I want to move (not copy) a folder with 1,181 images from my D Drive where they are stored to my E Drive where my work is....is that possible? They are bitmaps and jpegs...ranging from 50 KBs to 140 KBs

·
Registered
17,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Will my Power Desk move them? ....should I break the file into smaller files before moving them if I can?

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
In Windows Explorer: Just hold down [Shift] when dragging between locations, that will force the file(s) to move.

FYI; In Windows Explorer, by default, dragging files from location to location
on the same drive will default to moving the file;
to a different drive will default to copying the file.

You can always force your desired action, copy or move, regardless of what the default is, by
holding down [Ctrl] to force the Copy action, and
holding down the [Shift] to force the Move action.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Hold the Shift key while you drag and drop....

Just for the record - I would COPY and when I verify the new location has everything, I'd delete them from the original location...this just in case the pc locks up or something...you'll never know...

·
Registered
17,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks much Chuck and Idowindows...i have them copied to a circle disc already with my Nero, which confuses me, but always seems to copy or burn or whatever it does ok.

I want to move them to work with them in conjuction with the others on the other drive, and also for easier filing

·
Registered
17,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One more question...will my Power Desk move the whole folder easier with the Move option, or does that not move things across from one Drive to another?

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
Right click on the folder and select Copy. Right click on the E drive if you want the folder in the base directory and select Paste. Wait for the transfer to complete and check the destination folder. When you are sure the folder is safely in your E drive, right click on the folder in the D drive and select Delete.

Any other method and there is a small chance we will be discussing how to recover your missing files.

·
Registered
17,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Slipe, Yes...the moving of them was not working well....many hazed beyond recognition until I opened them in Photoshop....then they went back in the hazy state as thumbnails...not a good sign.....
I copy and pasted as you suggested, and a few still corrupted, but I can work with this...I renamed the folder to not confuse it with another, with the same name on E-Drive. I will keep the originals intact in the other drive for a while.
Maybe I'll put those up on my storage site, and delete the file then...oh geeze, what a mess. I did save them to disk, so it is not a total loss no matter what I decide to do. Thanks all...this has helped me much. If nothing else, I am learning to organize better..............G

·
Registered
17,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nontheless, the bitmaps seem more stable. i wish i knew how to utilize those more

·
Banned
8,372 Posts
Gabriel said:
i wish i knew how to utilize those more
more than what? They are just another image file... uncompressed but still just another image

·
Registered
17,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
buck52 said:
more than what? They are just another image file... uncompressed but still just another image
But they are different. I can't use them on some sites. And, I don't know what you mean by uncompressed.Is a Jpeg uncompressed or compressed. I don't know where to go to understand any of this. So I come here and sound stupid to get a little understanding:rolleyes:

·
Registered
17,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank-you Buck...sorry I thought you were criticizing my questions. That link will help me understand a lot:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.