Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always use the middle mouse wheel to click on links-- that way they come up in another tab. Today, it's not working and it's driving me nuts! I love searching by opening links this way! What happened to my mouse?
It's a Dell, came with my computer, and hooks up in the serial port in back of the computer.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Yoo-Hoo! Any help out there?? I have to Right-click and choose "Open in a new tab"--annoying! I've checked my mouse properties and settings, etc. and all is set fine.

·
Registered
568 Posts
What have you changed?

Please understand that I can see this is a really handy dandy way of doing things for you, but its NOT standard, and hence you must have changed something to make it so. You didn't even tell us what browser or OS you're using.

But whether it's annoying is irrelevent, it's not annoying me ;)

You're going to need to disclose more info like 1. what your using, 2. what the default behavior is, 3. what you did to change this to get to your non-annoying state, 4. what you did when this broke (if you know).

Cheers and good luck :)

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I use XP, IE7, and I've changed nothing! I've ALWAYS clicked on the middle scroll button to open new links in another tab when browsing in IE7. 2 days ago, I got online, as usual--nothing different--and it won't work like that anymore.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Only thing I have to check out the mouse is the Mouse properties in the Control Panel. I've already searched for updates and troubleshooted all I have available.
Maybe it's just time for a new mouse.---?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Could be. Maybe you've just worn that poor button out :) Make sure you check the control panel 'mouse options' to ensure nothing

But most mice (especially the Logitech ones) tend to come with driver and other software. Mostly not needed if windows works with it. But in this case it could provide some software to check the 'settings' of the mouse, or 'reset' them. I would look for that either already installed on the system or in the control panel, or find the CD or the web site and install the software for your mouse.

Otherwise, the only thing you could try is to remove the hardware from the system and rebooting, allowing windows to re-detect and add your mouse.

1. Open a command prompt: Start -> Run type cmd.exe in the window and hit enter.
2. A command prompt windows should open, we'll come back to this in a bit.
3. Open Device manager: Right-click on 'My Computer' and select 'Manage'. This opens "computer management".
4. Click on "Device Manager".
5. Double click on "Mice and ..."
6. Click on each entry and then right-click on each and select 'Uninstall'.
7. Now go back to the command prompt, if the mouse died due to the above use Alt-Tab to select your command prompt window.
8. Type Shutdown -r which will reboot your PC.

After rebooting, windows should re-detect the mouse and reinstall the drivers.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gotcha. So, do all the above and after reStarting the computer, plug the mouse back in and Windows will detect--correct? (just double-checking to make sure I don't mess up--haha!)

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just discovered the middle button works fine in Firefox! I haven't changed any settings in IE. I don't know what to check on next????

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.