Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm hoping that someone will be able to give me some advice as to what exactly is ailing my comp at the moment.
The most visible symptom is the mouse. The pointer is erratic and often stalls. I have cleaned both the mouse and registry (as per instructions given in a few other threads) but the problem remains.
A clean boot (OS = Win ME) or booting in safe mode will occasionally allow the mouse to work but only rarely. Sometimes the keyboard will not respond, often right after the pointer hangs, usually after heavy disk access which may be a vidcard issue (but I'm not sure).
The most annoying symptom is this : after hanging the mouse on the desktop and rebooting, the IRQ the mouse uses (12) will randomly (to my mind :D) be allocated to devices (modem, usb controller x 2) that usually use IRQ 5. Looking at the Device Manager right after such a boot shows that the mouse has disappeared and an unknown device is now using IRQ 5.

Being new to troubleshooting, I'm having a hard time isolating the fault. I'm fairly certain the hardware is good and the drivers are current. What I'm really looking for is someone to point me in the right direction (no pun intended).

Regards.

·
Registered
11,958 Posts
grilledTomato
Welcome to TSG!
Just a thought, if you are using a usb mouse and/or keyboard there is some issues bios/usb/mouse-keyboard dropping out and changing IRQ's. Have you tried the system using a serial mouse?
Dave

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for replying :)

I'm not sure about the mouse driver. The mouse itself is PS/2 and came with the system. It's standard (w/ wheel) and has no other identifying logos on it other than the company who sold the system. I've tried using the standard PS/2 port mouse driver and that works (sort of). The microsoft intellimouse driver also works.
I still don't know what is causing windows to undetect the mouse during a session and then fail to re-detect on boot.
Regardless, thanks again for your help. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This problem has been solved.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry, but the mouse itself was faulty, probably a loose wire somewhere. I replaced the mouse and bingo. This was probably the first thing I should have tested instead of the last, hence my chagrin :rolleyes: .
Regedits, driver d/ls, manual assignments, bios flashes - ack. Slap me till your hand hurts.

With cheerful humility, much regards.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.