Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today my motherboard died on one of my desktop computers.

How can get my pictures of the hard drive?

what will happen if i put the hard drive in a enclosure hard drive case?
will it read it even if the hard drive has windows on it?

or is there a easier/cheap way to do it?
any ideas?

please help. i need my family pictures.
Thanks to all that help

·
Registered
35 Posts
The easiest way to get your pictures off the hard drive, and anything else you may want/need, is to take it out of the old system and set the jumper to slave. Take it to a working system, set that system's hard drive to master, and then connect the other one in the slave position.

As word of precaution, it is never a good idea to store photos that you want to keep on an HDD. Always burn them to CD or DVD. This is your lucky break, because it could have been the hard drive that failed :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you for the reply very much.
Becuase of your answer i did alittle research but still confused.
Where do i get the slave clip?
How do i know where/what pins to put the slave clips?
Some site said that the hard drive has a picture and some dont.
What do you do if it doesnt have a picture where to put the clip?

i usually put the pictures on a external hard drive but my son/daugther have been putting them on the desktop heard drive.

thanks to all for the hellp.
hopefully ill get some more answers
thank you

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
If this is a sata hard drive it will not have a jumper setting. If it is a sata HDD, you can install it to your computer as an internal providing it has Sata.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I find the easiest is to go to the nearest computer store, and simply buy an external drive case, and put the hard drive in that. I had the same problem, and it only cost me a few pound's.
Easy as cake to fix:)

·
Registered
274 Posts
If you go down the external drive route - make certain you buy the correct type of enclosure for your HDD i.e ATA or SATA, and also make certain it has an external power supply facility as you do not want to rely on just the usb port to power it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.