Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a computer from my job, and the monitor will not turn on. Can any one help me with this problem. All it will do is show a blue screen and say shutting off mode in 5 sec and then shut off. I can not program the computer or any thing. The monitor will not stay on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do not know if this particular computer worked. My job was selling old computers that were in the class rooms for a cheap price since we got new computers. I have made sure the connection is in correctly and tight. I can not get the monitor to do any thing. The hard drive boots up and the fan works, just the monitor say off mode in 5 sec and then turn off.

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
If you can try the monitor with another computer--even a laptop--maybe you can determine whether the problem lies in the monitor, cable or computer.

For the computer if the video card is not integrated with the motherboard you could remove it and reinsert it firmly. And clean out the dust bunnies while you are there. :)

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
Many, if not all, laptops have a port for connecting an external monitor. There is probably a Function key for toggling among screen, external monitor, duplicate display and extend display. Or hold the Windows key and press p to get a little menu for those options (works in Windows 7; not sure about other OSes).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The computer monitor is showing a mirror image of my lap top. The hard drive light is on and is running. Would there be a problem with the hard drive instead of the monitor.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How can I test the computer hard drive with the monitor. The monitor does not have a card, it is old fashion and just have the cable. How can I tell if the hard drive is receiving the monitor. Now the monitor is working fine with my lap top, just not with the hard drive it came with.

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
I would suspect the BIOS or the display (video) adapter or the motherboard before the hard drive. When you power up the computer you never get anything at all on the monitor? If not, then either the BIOS or the adapter is having an issue, and you needn't worry about the hard drive or a driver. If you do get something at first--that brief display that tells you what keys to tap to get into BIOS or Setup or whatever--there is at least a little hope.

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
By the way, normally the external monitor's display will be a duplicate of the primary monitor. If yours is displaying a mirror image (left and right reversed) that probably means some kind of problem with the monitor or cable.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.