Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several days ago I was happily playing never winter nights and suddenly my system totally unexpectedly crashed/powered off. On a side note my first thought was possibly weather related (lightening) but it was a clear day with no bad weather. I then tried to reboot the system somewhat irate at losing my spot in never winter. However the screen refused to display anything but the monitors test screen (check cable and power message) then attempted to swap some simple components (i.e. Video card and monitor) to no avail. out of ideas I contacting my tech I was informed that I had a bad mother board shrug ok these things happen I opted for the processor and mobo upgrade and laid out a few hundred dollars. confident that soon id be back at never winter but after installing both a new mobo and processor the computer still displays the (check cable message) and doesn’t post -- no post codes with either board or processor or frankly with any combination of pci cards removed or installed or different ram all of which my tech and I have tried in varying arrangements. my original mobo was an Abit Kd7-Raid (the Raid was unused) with a AMD XP 1900 New mobo is Asus A7N8X-E and the new processor is a AMD XP 2500+ 512k. Tried to swap out power supplies however I only have one other PS that’s about 50 Watts lower than the original PS (200 Watts as opposed to the original 250 watts) in the system I’m not currently sure if this is any kind of power supply problem or what my techs stumped and I’m tired and just want my system back up and running. Please if anyone’s got any ideas on this it would be very much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
52,926 Posts
I would be looking at the powersupply as a problem, 250 watt is not enough, you should have a 350 watt or better. I would replace that first.

Also the XP2500+ requires PC2700 RAM, while your old CPU only needed PC2100 RAM , make sure the RAM is not to slow for the new CPU. Do you get any beeps or activity at all?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the PS is suspect and I plan on replacing it next, as far as the activity absolutely no beeps and the system seems to start as per normal (save that the test screen is all that appears) I can hear the fans and varying drives spooling up as per normal but again nothing but test screen. I’ll post again once I have swapped the PS out with a larger one probably later on this week sometime.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Having just replaced the old PS with a brand new 430 watt PS, the good news is that was at least part of the problem. However I still can’t get any kind of video image on my monitor or any beep codes. The system seems to boot normally however there is nothing but a "check monitor cable" test screen. Any other help would be appreciated I’m considering replacing the ram next but as it is it’s the only original “basic boot” equipment left in the system.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Check the "clear cmos" jumper on the motherboard. It should be on pins 1 and 2. Some boards are shipped in the clear position (pins 2 and #). If still nothing I suggest unhooking everything except the video and the memory(drives, speakers, etc) and see if it will boot. If it does start hooking things back up one at a time (checking after each) til it stops. It may be a bad component stopping the boot process.

·
Super Moderator
65,526 Posts
this may be/seem to obvious - but just in case, i assume you have checked the monitor on another system??, it sounds from the descriptions above that the PC was booting up

""""" I can hear the fans and varying drives spooling up as per normal but again nothing but test screen. """"""

are you sure there is not a fault between the video lead on the monitor and the monitor itself - starting with bent pins on the plug which plugs into the back of the PC.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’ll have to check the CMOS Jumper I hadn’t thought of that, having said that I’m already trying to boot in “stripped mode”. The monitor worked fine up till this started, but I’ve attempted to swap out with another monitor that I’m positive works. As far as bent pins ill have to look but seem to recall they looked fine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
CMOS Jumper is in the correct place and the pins on the monitor plugs both are unbent and normal in all respects.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Go over all the wires to make sure none are unplugged. If you are getting no beeps at all then the system is not booting. You should hear one beep to let you know it has loaded bios settings before it goes on to load your operating system. It is possible the cpu or motherboard are gone also.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm in the process of checking all the wireing. The MB & CPU are both brand new so I highly doubt either of them is fried. Just a bit of a recap the current standing of my system is this

MB: Asus A7N8X-E NEW
CPU: AMD XP 2500+ 512k NEW
PS: Antech 430 NEW
RAM: 2 512 sticks at 2100 DDR (I'm considering getting some new ram)
VID: Chaintech GF4 Ti4200, 128MB DDR, Cinamaster (I think?) DVD decoder
HD: 60 gig Western Digital, 250 gig Western Digital W/ PCI controler card
SC: Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum
MISC: 1 PlexWriter 24/10/24U (I think that’s the correct numbers), 1 DVD Encore 12x, 1 Generic floppy, MS Key and Mouse
Monitor: 19 inch Gateway, 15 inch Trinitron

In the stripped mode I’ve got the 60 gig hd and 1 stick of the ram, the vid card, the floppy, one of the monitors and the Mouse & Keyboard attached. the thing seems to boot however as I noted no post codes the HD's can be heard spooling up, the LED for the HD can also be seen to do its blinking as per normal. monitor just displays its test screen which just stumps me if I could get to a Bios screen I could probably get the beast running right but as it is I’m not even sure what’s wrong with it.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
The HD spooling and blinking is normal. It is man indication of power, not booting. The test screen is built into the monitor and will show when you apply power.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Would the ram being slow cause the system not to boot I know Triple6 posted as to this above not that I don’t believe him I just lol well I’m a college student and spending more money on this things draining what funds I do have. I don’t mind spending the money IF its going to fix the problem so my question is simply this will ram to slow keep the system from booting?

·
Premium Member
52,926 Posts
The CPU Frequency is 333Mhz, the RAM frequency is 266Mhz. This will pose a problem, however the board should boot up with fail safe defaults on first boot or after a failed boot - I could be wrong on this, and it might try to run the RAM at 333Mhz right off the bat. memory speeds can be set higher or lower in the BIOS.

Since the video card is not new, and your old system lost video it wouldn't be bad idea to borrow another card to test. Also, disconnect all drives from the computer and pull the motherboard out of the case. Set it up on an antistatic surface and try to get it to POST. All you need is the board, CPU with fan, 1 stick of RAM, and Video card for a POST. You can try your XP1900+ CPU in this setup too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.