Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have a Dell CRT monitor which was running great until last week.I have xp as its a slightly older pc but when i click on the green start button its always disapeared right down on the screen.
I have tried like 10 times to correct this using the monitors buttons but when i log back on its the same.

any help would be great.

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Try right-clicking on blue area to the right of the start button and selecting "Properties".

You should get a window like the one in the attached thumbnail. Be sure the box for "Keep the Task Bar on top of other Windows" is checked.

Raybro

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no thats already checked..i just checked my pc now and the start button was like on my desk..took like 5 mins before i could click on.why is it doing this?

·
Super Moderator
74,137 Posts
-why is my monitor not saving my settings?-
:confused: :confused: :confused:
The menu settings described by raybro are saved on the computer, not on the monitor. The presence of the Windows "Start" button on the task bar is controlled by the Windows software on the computer; not by any menu buttons on the monitor itself.

The fact that it takes 5 minutes for the Start button to be come clickable may indicate a virus or malware or possibly that your computer is taking a long time to finish booting up for some reason.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its not taking 5 mins to become clickable.i'll turn on the pc from yesterday and the screen has expanded leaving the start button very lowdown in the tool bar.
why will the pc not save my settings?.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
I think cwwozniak made a good suggestion to run malware scans on your computer. The best process currently available is a combination of two free programs. Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware. Download, install and update both programs. Be sure to do the updates during installation. Run scans with each program separately (not at the same time). Fix any infections found. They will be quarantined by each program.

Reboot and see if it helps.

Raybro

·
Super Moderator
74,137 Posts
no thats already checked..i just checked my pc now and the start button was like on my desk..took like 5 mins before i could click on.why is it doing this?
Its not taking 5 mins to become clickable.i'll turn on the pc from yesterday and the screen has expanded leaving the start button very lowdown in the tool bar.
why will the pc not save my settings?
So does it take 5 minutes before you can click on a button or not?

By some chance is your display size changing and causing the start button and task bar to disappear below the bottom edge of the screen?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So does it take 5 minutes before you can click on a button or not?

By some chance is your display size changing and causing the start button and task bar to disappear below the bottom edge of the screen?
No it doesn't take 5 mins to click the button.

I have AVG running and no viruses found.

its like the screen is slipping from top to bottom and vice versa-never had this problem before.

·
Super Moderator
74,137 Posts
The movement could be signs of something failing in the monitor or possibly the controller card.. Can you test the monitor on another computer or try a different monitor on the same computer?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There is NO virus on my pc-i have run a few antivirus programs over the past month.I never download anything.
i have a old monitor in the attic-maybe i'll try that.

But i have heard about other people with the same problem-esp running XP.

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
There is NO virus on my pc-i have run a few antivirus programs over the past month.I never download anything.
i have a old monitor in the attic-maybe i'll try that.

But i have heard about other people with the same problem-esp running XP.
I didn't say VIRUS, I said MALWARE. There are programs that can be planted into your computer, other than viruses, that can and do affect how the system operates. You do not have to download anything to get many of them. Just being online make you vulnerable to many. I do not know if this is the cause or even contributes to your problem, but with ANY odd behavior in computer function, it is one of the very first possibilities to eliminate. The two programs I recommended will do this .

Raybro

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah i tried that malware scan-nothing found.

i looked on the intel graphics controller its listed as 1024&768

85htz
I fixed the screen before and when i logged in to look on here it had gone back to crazy streched mode :(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.