Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again,

This problem also recently presented itself. I turn my computer on (usually after it has been off over night) and when Windows has finished loading, I turn my monitor on. I see the desktop fine for about half a second although there is a weird sound i can hear comping from the speakers and then it blacks out and the sound stops. The monitor power is still on however. So i turn the power off and on and this repeates itself. After at least a mintue it usually sorts itself out and i carry on fine for the duration of time i am on my computer.

I believe it is similar to this problem, as my monitor is LCD...
http://www.fixya.com/support/t123065-monitor_displays_breifly_goes_blank

However i am not sure why my monitor would work at all if this was the case.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
74,177 Posts
Jaymzmcewan said:
However i am not sure why my monitor would work at all if this was the case.

Any ideas?
Did you try shining a light directly on the monitor to check for an image as suggested in the article you linked to?

·
Super Moderator
74,177 Posts
It sounds like you may have the problem described in the article. The high voltage inverter may be going bad or you have some type of arcing or overload in the inverter outputs or the wiring to the lamps. The inverter detects the overload and shuts down. The inverter or the arcing may also radiate a high frequency noise or buzz that gets picked up by the audio feed to the speakers.

The only possible reason that I can come up with for the monitor working OK after few such cycles is that something warms up enough to temporarily clear the fault.

Is the monitor still under warranty?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry Chuck, i missed your reply there.

Yes it is, and i was intending to phone the company up tomorrow but now i am unsure.

I read this in one of the other threads...

XPSP2 said:
Happened to me once and was because monitor settings were somehow changed to setting that computer wouldn't support. My screen was blank. My friends told me I needed a new monitor. Started in safe mode, set and saved default settings, monitor started to work again.
So i figured i'd give it a try. When my monitor was playing up i restarted the computer and continued pressing F8. As soon as it was loading in safe mode the monitor stayed on and was working fine. However, i was unsure how to save the default settings or whether i even needed to.

I guess tomorrow i will find out when i start the computer up in the morning whether this has solved the problem.

Does anyone know out of interest how to save the default settings of the monitor when loading in safe mode, just in case it isnt fixed yet?

Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.