My problem :
It all started from when I unplugged my HP w2338h monitor from my main PC (res. 1920x1080
, specs listed below) into a raspberry pi 3. After using the monitor for the Raspberry PI 3, I plugged it back into my main PC again, and to my surprise the resolution was on 1024x724.
When I go into the advanced display settings, the only resolution options are 1024x724 & 800x600
What I tried to fix this (but didn't work):
What I didn't try & why:
- Tried restarting
- Reinstalling video drivers
- Factory reset on monitor
- Creating a custom resolution using the NVIDIA control panel
- Kinda works but its blurry, so not quite. (also I shouldn't have to do this).
- updating monitor drivers (it says everything is already up to date)
- HP My Display tool (found under the software section under HP support for my monitor)
- Says it ran into an error and fails to run.
- replacing the HDMI cable
Other possibly useful observations/info:
- uninstalling the monitor drivers manually.
- I did not do this because in order to reinstall the monitor drivers I need the CD that came with the monitor, which I no longer have.
- Playing around with the BIOS (HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI).
- I "tried" doing this, but It appears the bios display is corrupted? There's a bunch of graphics misplaced and random letters displayed across the screen.
- Maybe I need to flash the bios or update it? I've never done this before and am afraid I might cause more damage.
- Bios display appears to be corrupted (pic included)
- when booting: a black screen with codes A2 c9 appear. (this doesn't last longer. approx. 3secs)
- The MSI krait snake graphic when booting is visibly zoomed in on and cutoff. (probably b/c its 1024x724). (pic included)
- The SDD has both Winows 10 and Linux Mint and is configured for duo boot. (defaults to windows 10 unless specified otherwise.)
Thank you for taking the time to read my problem and help me with this issue.
I greatly appreciate it!!
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 184.108.40.206
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4690K CPU @ 3.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 16332 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970, -1 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 387 GB (127 GB Free);
Motherboard: MSI, Z97S SLI Krait Edition (MS-7922)
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled