Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help. When I turn on my computer, the monitor doesn't come off of stand-by mode. I thought it might be the monitor, but I took a new monitor and attached it to the computer and the same thing happened. I also check the the cables to make sure that they were secure and they were. Any ideas?

[email protected]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The computer doesn't make any beeps or anything, but the light on the front is on. I don't think it has a video card. The monitor plug is part of the mother board. But I checked to make sure everything was secure. It did this a few weeks ago, but I just wiggled some of the cables and it started back working, but I have wiggled everything on there and nothing seems to help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
This is difficult to troubleshoot since it definitely sounds like a hardware issue and one in which we'd need to actually be there physically to see the pc.

1. How old is the pc?
2. You say the pc doesn't beep when it starts up, did it *ever* beep when it started up before?

The light being on is prolly meaningless, it just means that power is flowing. The lack of a start up beep may indicate bad things my friend. However, I have experienced something similar before. Try completely disconnecting all power (as in, unplugging it) then replugging and restarting. If it doesn't work at first, do it a couple of times.

If that works (or even if it doesn't), turn it on and put your hand behind the power supply's fan. Look at the power supply's fan. It's hard to tell if you're not familiar with such, but see if it's going abnormally slow (it should be whipping along nicely). In particular, look to see if it's speed increases and decreases.

The goal of this exercise is to isolate the faulty hardware, which I'm certain is the power supply. If the fan seems to be alright, ensure that all the cables coming from the power supply are firmly connected to the motherboard and other components, then get back to us.

My 2 cents,
The Count

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.