Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I'm building a PC for someone who is only going to surf the internet occationally using a 56k modem. I have a Creative Modem Blaster here with a Broadxent v.92 chip on it. I don't know the exact model number because the card lists a range of 3, but here is the information on the card itself:

DI5630-5/DI5631/DI5633

P/N: 245-0563300

S/N: DE0014004753

I've tried the drivers on the Creative site several times and each time I get a message popped up saying

Opening port...

Error 680: There was no dial tone
There, the options are Redial, Cancel, or More Info. I've tried it with and without the prefix to disable call waiting. I've tried different access numbers.

In device manager, it shows it as a "Broadxent V.92 DI3652-1" and it confirms "This device is working properly."

I havent used dialup in many years, or built anything for anyone who did for about that long, so this really isn't my specialty.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions! :)

-Mark

·
Registered
17,584 Posts
First thing to check is the cable from the modem to the wall. Two variants for wiring of these, and if the wrong one is used there is no dial tone.

Second is the socket on the modem, if there is 2 make sure Line is used not Phone.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. I should've stated in my original post the following:

1) The cable to the wall is taken right out of a phone and put into the "LINE" jack on the modem, so it's not the cable or the wall jack because the phone has worked fine for 3 years.

2) It's in the "Line" port on the modem. Yes I did try the other just for the heck of it, no luck.

-Mark

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay. Can you think of anything else? Something with the drivers or Windows or a hardware problem? Anything else to check?

I've never heard of a "special modem cable"...just a phone cable into the modem is the way I always used to do it.

Thanks

-Mark

·
Registered
17,584 Posts
The way to test is simple, just plug a phone into the "phone" connection on the back of the modem. With the modem off-line, just lift the phone and see if there is a dial tone. If not you need to check the cable etc.

Perhaps in your country the cables are the same, but I assure you in others they are not.

One uses the 2 outer connections, one the 2 inner.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Well from my experience, I have fixed so many modems with that same error.
First of all most SBC Southern Northern Bell companies, or most phone companies offer voicemail. When you have a messages on your voicemail box, the dial changes to a faster paste rithym. Most modems dont detect at all that there is a dial tone because of the different faster pace tone.

Follow these steps, after you have the correct drivers.

1. Go to start
2. Control Panel
3. Phone and Modem Options
4. Click on the Modems tab
5. Select your Modem
6. Then it will open up a new window, select the Modem tab once again
7. Then finally uncheck the small box at the bottom that says "Wait for dial tone before dialing" Then just close everything and your modem should connect fine.

Note: If your modem was no on the list, or you do not have that option than it is not installed correctly.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
GoLoGo:

I just googled that a few minutes ago and found out about the same result. I tried it, and it just sits there with "Dialing..." on the screen until I press cancel. Nothing out of the modem speaker, and no progress for several minutes.

I also tried the 4 commas, no go. SBC phonelines with voicemail here, so yes in theory that should work.

-Mark

·
Registered
56 Posts
You say your modem is Plug and Play? Make sure it does not have any jumpers on the modem. Also if your modem has a built-in speaker make sure you connect any WOR cables it may need or any thing in that sort.

I believe the Creative Modem Blaster is an ISA slot modem? Make sure your ISA settings in your bios are good. IRQ/DMA that sort. Also make sure you have Onchip modem disabled in your motherboard.

But I havent had luck with installing my Creative Modem Blaster to an old Dell Optiplex P3 that I found, Some modems are just too old :( .

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's a PCI modem. I bought this modem less than a year ago and used it in another PC for about 15 minutes and it worked fine then. It's been in a static bag since then, not plugged in, so lightning didnt hit it or power surge or anything.

-Mark

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.